Author Topic: Light-to-moderate drinking tied to lower risk of heart attack and death in patients with heart disea  (Read 331 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Reuters by Dania Nadeem 7/27/2021

Light-to-moderate drinking tied to lower risk of heart attack and death in patients with heart disease

Light-to-moderate alcohol consumption is linked to a reduced risk of heart attack, stroke and death among those with heart disease, according to a study published in the journal BMC Medicine on Monday.

The largest benefit - a 50% reduction in risk compared with non-drinkers - was seen in people with heart disease who drank an average of 6 grams of alcohol per day. (A standard "unit" of alcohol is 8 grams in the UK, whereas the average drink in the United States contains 14 grams.)

People who averaged 8 grams per day had a 27% lower risk of death from heart attack, stroke or angina, compared with those who did not drink. Those who drank 7 grams per day had a 21% lower risk of death due to any cause.

Drinking higher amounts, up to an average of 15 grams of alcohol daily, were linked with smaller reductions in risk. https://bit.ly/3kV2xN9

More: https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/light-to-moderate-drinking-tied-lower-risk-heart-attack-death-patients-with-2021-07-27/

Offline skeeter

Light to moderate? This is terrible news.

There are about 30 grams in a shot. Assuming this report is talking about 100% alcohol per gram, this would mean the optimum amount of booze would be < a half shot of 100 proof.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 01:54:52 pm by skeeter »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
1 beer contains roughly 14 grams and I'm not about to drink half a beer.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
 ****slapping  C'mon man. everyone knows if one is good for you 6  or 7 is mo better.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12916-021-02040-2

Results

No statistically significant elevated risks were found at higher levels of drinking. In the few studies that excluded former drinkers from the non-drinking reference group, reductions in risk among light-to-moderate drinkers were attenuated.

Conclusions

For secondary prevention of CVD, current drinkers may not need to stop drinking. However, they should be informed that the lowest risk of mortality and having another cardiovascular event is likely to be associated with lower levels of drinking, that is up to approximately 105g (or equivalent to 13 UK units, with one unit equal to half a pint of beer/lager/cider, half a glass of wine, or one measure of spirits) a week.

Offline skeeter

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
" No statistically significant elevated risks were found at higher levels of drinking"

I guess that didn't include Pickling Your Liver.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
A half a beer a week. Thats not 'drinking' - thats literally wetting one's beak.

You read that wrong. It stated 13 Units. A unit is half a pint of beer.

Offline skeeter

You read that wrong. It stated 13 Units. A unit is half a pint of beer.
got it. Much relieved.