Author Topic: February's deadly freeze gives rise to zombie trees in Texas  (Read 342 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by Diane Cowen 7/30/2021

Zombies are in your yard, in parks and along roadsides and other green spaces throughout Texas.

They’re trees that are partly dead and partly alive, struggling to move forward and waiting for the next big thing — even hotter temperatures, a drought, a hurricane — to seal their fate.

Count zombie trees as one more lingering effect of February’s winter storm

Arborists and other tree experts say that in the months to come, the state could lose thousands if not millions of trees ranging from tall Mexican or California fan palms to a wide range of hardwoods such as lace bark elm, Chinese tallow and water oak. This would be the most dangerous threat to Texas’s tree inventory since the 2011 drought.

Trees with lots of dead branches and new green sprouts shooting out of the center are likely zombie trees. Even tall palms with new green fronds on top could be zombies, because you can’t see the potential damage inside of their lanky trunks.

The freeze affected trees’ cambium layer — essentially their vascular system — just beneath the bark. That layer is responsible for taking water up to the branches to be converted to sugars through photosynthesis. If a tree is so damaged that it cannot do this, it cannot feed itself.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/lifestyle/home-garden/article/One-more-Texas-winter-storm-legacy-Zombie-trees-16350689.php

Offline thackney

Re: February's deadly freeze gives rise to zombie trees in Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 01:29:46 pm »
I have lots of dead limbs in tops of 60~80 year old pecan trees.  I am guessing the age, 4-5 ft diameter at the bases.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: February's deadly freeze gives rise to zombie trees in Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 01:46:26 pm »
I haven't noticed many dead limbs on my pecan trees. I was flabbergasted when I saw 2 large pecan trees that looked completely dead not far from my neighborhood. I had a fig tree die and many dead limbs on my Loquat tree.