Author Topic: Indiana to test 'magment': a magnetized concrete to charge electric vehicles  (Read 606 times)

Offline thackney

Indiana to test 'magment': a magnetized concrete to charge electric vehicles
https://techxplore.com/news/2021-07-indiana-magment-magnetized-concrete-electric.html

The governor of Indiana has announced that the Indiana Department of Transportation and Purdue University will soon begin testing the viability of "Magment"—a magnetized concrete for use in charging electric vehicles as they drive. Magment was developed by a German company with the same name.

Several initiatives have been developed in the past several years aimed at charging electric vehicles as they drive by, providing power from the road or a strip near it. In this new effort, a team of researchers from Purdue University, working with road engineers from INDOT will construct a small stretch of road on or near the Purdue campus this summer. If testing is successful, another road section will be built, this time a quarter-mile section at an INDOT location. There, the road will be tested with electric trucks requiring a minimum of 2000 kilowatts. If the second test goes well, INDOT plans to add a section of the material to an as-yet unknown stretch of public road.

Magment has not yet released many technical details regarding its product but its website shows road (or floor) segments made of magnetized particles mixed with concrete are applied to a substrate....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Joe Wooten

I wonder how it will stand up to several months of salt?

Offline roamer_1

Well, on the bright side, your road kill will come precooked.  :silly:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

What could possibly go wrong with any electronics that go by?

Like a permanent EMT blast
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Will it charge my cell phone, too?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

I wonder how it will stand up to the first law of thermodynamics.  The only source of energy is the car.

Offline roamer_1

Will it charge my cell phone, too?

SURE. Just kick your door open, reach down and drag your phone along the pavement...  :beer:

Offline thackney

I wonder how it will stand up to the first law of thermodynamics.  The only source of energy is the car.

I was wrong.  Magment uses more than magnet particles in the "pavement".

The technology is based on a infrastructure of coils buried under the road or parking lot, energy management units connected on the one hand to the electricity grid and on the other to the infrastructure of the coils and a car receiver that allows the energy to be transferred directly to the battery. Electrion is developing a cloud-based service that enables control and monitoring of all system components remotely.

he Yacobbi Brothers Group has signed a cooperation agreement with German company Magment GmbH, which has developed technology for wireless charging using magnetic concrete.

https://www.magment.co/yaakobi-will-compete-with-electrion-in-israel/

- - - - -

So power comes from the grid.  How is this paid for?  Toll roads?  Tax payers?