Author Topic: American Heroes: Top Navy SEAL Sniper Mike “The Bear” Bearden  (Read 338 times)

rangerrebew

American Heroes: Top Navy SEAL Sniper Mike “The Bear” Bearden
by Brandon Webb 2 days ago

We all stood around as they read off everyone’s score. Glen Doherty’s implausible 19 out of 20 had given him a personal tally of 95, which not only saved my ass but was also the day’s highest score. Except for one thing: As far-fetched as it sounded, another new guy in the class had shot a 95, too.

Which meant the day’s shooting was not over yet.

Someone had donated a beautiful SKS 7.62 semi-automatic rifle to the class. This thing was a work of art. A classic Soviet-made carbine (this was the service rifle that preceded the AK-47), and a piece any gun owner would be proud to have in his collection. Before our test that day the instructors had told us that whoever came out with the highest score would go home with that rifle. But you can’t exactly saw an SKS in half, so now Glen and the other guy were going to stage a shoot-off.

This time they would be on their own, no shooter-spotter teams. Each would have just a few minutes to do his own spotting, calculations, wind call, and the rest, then get one shot — and only one shot — at that lane’s target. They would take turns, starting at the closest distance and ending at 1,000 yards.

https://sofrep.com/news/american-heroes-top-navy-seal-sniper-mike-the-bear-bearden/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: American Heroes: Top Navy SEAL Sniper Mike “The Bear” Bearden
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 06:00:12 pm »
@rangerrebew

Why would anyone want to win a freaking SKS? We used to shoot up the ones we pulled from weapons caches,and then spray a little chicken blood on them from the mess hall,to sell to support troops that never went into the bush.

You could easily get 100 bucks for one like that  in VN back in the 1960's from the REMF's who planned to take them home to show to all their friends as they told stories about how "I greased this MoFo in the Ho Chi Mihn Vally in North Vietnam on a very hush-hush secret mission that I can't talk about because it would have blown my cover as a personnel clerk in Saigon!"

A good time was had by all.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!