Author Topic: Biden urges Democratic unity on rebuilding infrastructure, expanding social programs  (Read 196 times)

rangerrebew

Biden urges Democratic unity on rebuilding infrastructure, expanding social programs

JENNIFER HABERKORN AND ELI STOKOLS Los Angeles Times
July 14, 2021 03:43 PM

WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden on Wednesday tried to solidify a fragile coalition of Democrats to make progress on his massive infrastructure proposal that would both rebuild the nation’s roads and enact a broad array of social programs, such as new Medicare benefits, child-care assistance and immigration reform.

Biden visited Capitol Hill a day after a group of Democrats said their social program bill, which Democrats plan to enact on a strict party-line vote, would total $3.5 trillion.

Added to the approximately $600 billion earmarked for “hard infrastructure” that Biden hopes to enact on a bipartisan basis, the whole package would amount to $4.1 trillion in new spending over a decade.

“We’re going to get this done,” Biden said as he arrived for the Senate Democrats’ lunch in the Capitol.

Democrats have to walk a tightrope as they try to push the bills ahead in the coming weeks. Biden’s challenge, with slim margin for error, will be preserving support from progressives, who originally wanted $6 trillion in new spending, and centrists, who wanted a smaller price tag and an assurance that it is entirely paid for.

Read more here: https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/politics-government/national-politics/article252783678.html#storylink=cpy

rangerrebew

He's working only with democrats on this.  Here he had me buffaloed into thinking he wants Americans to reunite and work together. wink777

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
Biden urges a tightening up of lock-steppers getting sloppy, and acting like they have minds of their own.  The taskmasters of the plantation can be rather strict, even purges.  I mean suicides.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions