Author Topic: Sen. Cotton has 'real doubts' about US Navy's ability to defeat China in battle  (Read 614 times)

rangerrebew

Sen. Cotton has 'real doubts' about US Navy's ability to defeat China in battle
GOP lawmaker helped commission report questioning Navy's preparedness for war
Fox News Staff

Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., reacts to a study that calls into question the fighting culture of the U.S. Navy surface fleet.

Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., expressed concern about the U.S. Navy's ability to take on China in battle Tuesday on the heels of a new military report detailing a culture of bureaucracy that has shifted away from warfighting. Cotton joined "America Reports" to discuss the study that he helped commission.

Sen. Tom Cotton: I believe the surface Navy, our destroyers, and other surface combatant ships need a cultural change. I think some of this goes back 30 years to the fall of the Soviet Union and the loss of a pacing peer competitor on the seas. But this report is not coming from me, is not coming from my counterparts in the House, Congressmen Gallagher, Banks, and Crenshaw. It's coming from sailors, it's coming from the sailors and their chiefs and their junior officers, and in some cases, commanding officers who have lost confidence that the Navy's surface warfare component is ready to fight and win tonight. You've heard the report from Lucas and the questioning that I had for the nominee to be Secretary of the Navy today about the administrative burdens, the zero-defect mentality, the focus on training for things other than warfighting. Obviously, the Navy has a big and complex task, but the single most important thing we have our surface Navy for is to be ready to fight and defeat the Chinese Navy. And right now, I have real problems -- real doubts – the Navy has instilled the kind of warfighting mentality that would allow us to accomplish that goal.

It's true that we've allowed China to steal a march on us that relates especially shipbuilding. China has been engaged in a massive shipbuilding campaign. We need to do more of that in the United States as well. We need to build more ships, we need a larger Navy. But just as important is how we train our sailors, especially our leaders, on those ships. And this report shows that in some cases, surface warfare officers were simply given 23 DVDs and sent out to the fleet and told [to] read these in your spare time to get trained. We would never do that to a Navy aviator, we would never do it to a Navy nuclear engineer. We shouldn't be doing it to our surface warfare officers either. They deserve a lot better, and the sailors they lead deserve a lot better as well.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/sen-cotton-expresses-real-doubts-about-us-navys-ability-to-defeat-china-in-battle

Offline mountaineer

Fifteen Percent Of U.S. Air Force F-35s Don’t Have Working Engines
Marine Corps, Navy, and foreign F-35s are also being impacted by ongoing problems with the jets’ engines.
By Thomas Newdick July 14, 2021

A total of 46 F-35 stealth fighters are currently without functioning engines due to an ongoing problem with the heat-protective coating on their turbine rotor blades becoming worn out faster than was expected. With the engine maintenance center now facing a backlog on repair work, frontline F-35 fleets have been hit, with the U.S. Air Force’s fleet facing the most significant availability shortfall.

At a hearing before the U.S. House Committee on Armed Services’ Subcommittee on Tactical Air and Land Forces yesterday, Air Force Lieutenant General Eric T. Fick, director of the F-35 Joint Program Office, confirmed that 41 U.S. Air Force F-35s, as well as one Joint Strike Fighter belonging to the U.S. Marine Corps, another from the U.S. Navy, and three that had been delivered to foreign air forces were grounded without engines. Those figures were as of July 8.  ...

The Drive
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I work with a guy who just got out of the Navy recently, leaving as Petty Officer 1st Class.

He said the politics and bureaucratic tape just absolutely strangle even the most basic tasks.
The Republic is lost.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
So Cotton believes the Navy needs a cultural change? I agree, the Navy needs to return to the warrior culture of WWI and WWII and away from the touch feely woke bleep culture that is destroying our military, and this has been an ongoing rot since Vietnam starting with 'woke' rules of engagement that all but insured our soldiers could not win. All the 'special' officers in all the branches, especially at cabinet level need to be given a size 20 boot in the ass along with this cultural woke crap. The only culture there should be in the military is the culture of brotherhood and warrior, Russia and China know it and that's why they are outright laughing at America.

I never served, but I do believe that what's wrong with our military is obvious to anyone, even democrats but they look and smile at their handiwork because they have always hated the military.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
What an utter disgrace. Joe will ensure the complete destruction of our military.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline mountaineer

What an utter disgrace. Joe will ensure the complete destruction of our military.
And thus, the country. We're sitting ducks, while China and Russia lick their chops.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
And thus, the country. We're sitting ducks, while China and Russia lick their chops.

Absolutely.  Joe sold us to China the minute he was made the DEM nominee. No doubts.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline skeeter

Absolutely.  Joe sold us to China the minute he was made the DEM nominee. No doubts.
not a joke. Or maybe he is.