Author Topic: Marine receives 3D-printed teeth from reconstructive jaw surgery in military first  (Read 165 times)

rangerrebew

Marine receives 3D-printed teeth from reconstructive jaw surgery in military first
J.D. Simkins
10 hours ago

When Lance Cpl. Jaden Murry underwent immediate reconstruction surgery to remove most of his lower jaw, surgeons at Naval Medical Center San Diego opted to use part of Murry’s fibula, the bone on the outside of the lower leg, to reconstruct the Marine’s mandible.

But it was the denture prosthesis installed during the incredible procedure that was even more groundbreaking.

For the first time ever, Defense Department surgeons installed 3D-printed teeth in a procedure, one that was necessitated due to a tumor in Murry’s lower jaw.

“I wasn’t too nervous,” the Twentynine Palms-based Murry said in a press release. “I knew I was in good hands. I had to put all of my faith and hopes in the hands of strangers. I had to trust them all.”

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2021/07/12/marine-receives-3d-printed-teeth-in-reconstructive-jaw-surgery-in-military-first/