Author Topic: Abbott challenger accuses Texas governor of being Republican in name only  (Read 623 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Abbott challenger accuses Texas governor of being Republican in name only

Former state Sen. Don Huffines (R), who is waging a bid against Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) for the party’s gubernatorial nomination, took on the sitting governor on Sunday, calling him a Republican in name only, commonly referred to as “RINO.”

“We don't have a Donald Trump as governor, we don't have a Ron DeSantis as governor, we don't have a William B. Travis as governor. Unfortunately we've got a career politician that's a political windsock, a RINO,” Huffines said of Abbott, at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), according to Newsweek.

Huffines, who represented a Dallas-based state Senate district for four years until 2019, launched a primary bid against Abbott in May.

At CPAC, Huffines critiqued Abbott for his handling of the surge in border crossings, asking the crowd “why isn’t the border secure?” after years of leadership under Abbott.

“Greg Abbott's been governor for six years. He could have secured the border six years ago or six months ago,” Abbott said.

Huffines also zeroed in on Abbott’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking him for his decision to impose restrictions on the state’s economy.

“He put 3 million Texans on unemployment and dependent on the government in one day. He closed our churches on the holiest week of the year, Easter," Huffines said.

-- excerpt, rest at link above --

Political windsock is a perfect description of Abbott if you ask me.

Way to go Don!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

I'm not a Texan, but Huffines makes some valid points. I'm a little surprised though as I've always seen Abbott as a true conservative. 

Out of curiosity, the statement was made that Abbott could have secured the border six years ago; perhaps he was waiting on Trump to come through with his promise??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Where is Kinky Friedman when you need him?  :)
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I'm not a Texan, but Huffines makes some valid points. I'm a little surprised though as I've always seen Abbott as a true conservative. 

Out of curiosity, the statement was made that Abbott could have secured the border six years ago; perhaps he was waiting on Trump to come through with his promise??

IMHO Abbott is a weathervane politician, or, as Don Huffines put it, a political windsock.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
There is no way that Texas alone can secure its 1,954 mi. border with Mexico alone, when the Fed govt is enticing illegals to come with free money and free services. No matter who the governor is.

Stopping all these enticements would stop this flow of illegals, and even reverse the flow, much faster than working on the wall.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
There is no way that Texas alone can secure its 1,954 mi. border with Mexico alone, when the Fed govt is enticing illegals to come with free money and free services. No matter who the governor is.

Stopping all these enticements would stop this flow of illegals, and even reverse the flow, much faster than working on the wall.

:yowsa: Absolutely right! Turn off the magnets and they will stay at home.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I say differently.

Once we secede, there will no longer be illegals traipsing into our country.

They will not like their welcome if they are able to avoid capture at the border.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

I say differently.

Once we secede, there will no longer be illegals traipsing into our country....

when the Fed govt is enticing illegals to come with free money and free services

Looks like you say the same, not differently.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline berdie

I couldn't agree more.

Offline libertybele

Some have been shouting that from the rooftops for quite sometime and not many care to listen.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Some have been shouting that from the rooftops for quite some time and few care to listen.

:yowsa: Thank you!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Looks like you say the same, not differently.
I see no way that is a similar comparison.

Why would illegals even wish to come into a country like Texas that does not provide them with goodies and the like?  That would be akin to coming into Texas to get goodies Portugal offers them.

Coming here would offer no reward whatsoever.

The would enter some other border to get their goodies the feds offers as ours would be closed.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 10:37:10 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington