Author Topic: Michigan mayor defends using campaign money to pay for part of daughter's wedding  (Read 451 times)

Offline mountaineer

Michigan mayor defends using campaign money to pay for part of daughter's wedding
By Celine Castronuovo - 07/09/21 09:42 PM EDT
A Michigan mayor is defending his use of $4,500 in campaign funds to help pay for his daughter’s wedding, arguing that the celebration doubled as a campaign event.

According to local ABC News affiliate WXYZ, Romulus Mayor LeRoy Burcroff said through his lawyer that the money was allocated from his campaign fund to pay for the open bar at his daughter’s wedding, which was held at a local yacht club.

His attorney, Daniel Wholihan, told the local news outlet that the event was also campaign-related because many members of Burcroff’s campaign team were in attendance.

The mayor’s lawyer said that while the payment created “poor optics,” he did not think it counted as a legal violation, noting that Burcroff has since repaid his campaign for the expense, WXYZ reported.  ...
The Hill
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

This guy is a real gem.
... WXYZ first reported a series of questionable payments made by the mayor in December, which included more than $6,000 worth of payments made to his children, brother and son-in-law for office rent and campaign office maintenance.

The news outlet also uncovered $3,800 paid in membership fees to the Belleville Yacht Club, where his daughter's wedding was held.

In response to the secretary of state probe, in May, Wholihan acknowledged that Burcroff used the $4,500 for his daughter's wedding, as well as nearly $15,000 for donations to his local church in May. As reported by WXYZ, Wholihan said that the mayor has since returned up to $20,000 back to his campaign. ...
Newsweek via MSN

Link to WXYZ story.

Online Kamaji

Party affiliation?

Offline mountaineer

Party affiliation?
I had to search high and low for reference to that. He appears to be a Democrat, as he endorsed a liberal Dem for state office a few years ago, according to Ballotpedia.

Online Kamaji

I had to search high and low for reference to that. He appears to be a Democrat, as he endorsed a liberal Dem for state office a few years ago, according to Ballotpedia.

That's what I thought; I too, could not easily find anything, though.