Author Topic: Shed a tear for the grown adults who took out gigantic federal loans for a master's degree worth not  (Read 202 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Shed a tear for the grown adults who took out gigantic federal loans for a master's degree worth nothing
Allahpundit Jul 09, 2021 6:31 PM ET

Carve out some time this weekend for this WSJ piece, one of the best hate-reads I’ve had in ages. It’s long but I promise that it’s worth it.

How often do you a read a major investigative piece in which literally every person mentioned in it sucks?

The Journal pulls back the curtain on a preposterous higher-education scam run by corrupt elite universities like Columbia at the expense of imbeciles who can’t manage a budget and lavishly enabled by the federal government, which of course also can’t manage a budget. During the Bush era, the feds passed a new loan program called Grad Plus to help students who want to pursue a graduate education pay their way. Grad Plus has three distinguishing features. The interest rates on the loans can be quite high, upwards of eight percent. Unlike with undergrad loans, there’s no lending limit so some students borrow well into six figures. And if the loans aren’t paid off in 20-25 years, taxpayers are on the hook for the balance.

The prospect of schools being able to charge young suckers who think they’re the next Spielberg literally any amount they want and know that the feds will cover it up front has created a powerful incentive towards hiking the costs of a master’s degree, which an Ivy League idol like Columbia justifies on grounds that you can’t put a price on its elite credential. To the average aspiring grad student, that logic wouldn’t hack it: You’d want to think very carefully about your future income stream and whether an MFA even from Columbia is worth taking out $100,000 in loans to obtain it. Or $200,000 in loans. Or, in some cases, $300,000 in loans.

more
https://hotair.com/allahpundit/2021/07/09/shed-a-tear-for-the-grown-adults-who-took-out-gigantic-federal-loans-for-a-masters-degree-worth-nothing-n401415
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PeteS in CA

After "I enjoy working with electronics" and "I have an aptitude for electronics", "The career field has good future potential" was one of my principal considerations. Maybe DeVry's current Phoenix campus has ivy somewhere on its walls, but the Camelback and Highland campus didn't; I wasn't an Ivy-Leaguer, nor was my long-paid-off student loan.

I lack sympathy for people too enamored of ivy or digs like Stanford or USC to learn whether their chosen major has a good career path.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 01:27:52 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline mountaineer

corrupt elite universities like Columbia
One of the worst communist training grounds in all academia, incidentally.

When I went to law school, I paid for as much of it myself as was possible, borrowing only $6,000 at 6% - which I paid off long before my 10-year repayment period was up.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Mike Rowe is commenting on this article at his Facebook page.
... Depending on your browser, the article might be behind a paywall, so I’m cutting and pasting a few relevant paragraphs for your edification/horror.  ...

“Recent film program graduates of Columbia University who took out federal student loans had a median debt of $181,000. Yet two years after earning their master’s degrees, half of the borrowers were making less than $30,000 a year. Recent Columbia film alumni had the highest debt compared with earnings among graduates of any major university master’s program in the U.S. ..."

Is that not mind-blowing? Zach Morrison – the guy in the glasses – is typical of those profiled in the article. He’s 29 years old with an MFA from Columbia, and he’s finally come to the realization that he’s screwed. From the article…

“There’s always those 2 a.m. panic attacks where you’re thinking, ‘How the hell am I ever going to pay this off?’ His graduate school loan balance now stands at nearly $300,000, including accrued interest. He has been earning between $30,000 and $50,000 a year from work as a Hollywood assistant and such side gigs as commercial video production and photography.”

Sadly, Zach Morrison isn’t alone.  ...

After 20 to 25 years on an income-dependent payment plan, the balance on Grad Plus loans—roughly $11.2 billion issued in the school year that ended in 2020—can be forgiven. Taxpayers will bear any losses.”

Read that last sentence again and tell me you’re not pissed. If you’re not, read it again. A university with an $11 billion endowment gets to charge students whatever the students are willing to borrow - knowing full-well that the majority will never earn enough in their chosen field to pay off the debt. Fine. It's a free country. Buyer beware, etc. But when the students default, as they almost surely will, you and I will pick up the slack. Why? Is it really in America's best interest to create more aspiring filmmakers? At over $300K per student? ...
https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMikeRowe
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org