Author Topic: Charlottesville to take down Robert E. Lee statue on Saturday  (Read 3424 times)

Online corbe

Charlottesville to take down Robert E. Lee statue on Saturday

BY CAROLINE VAKIL - 07/09/21 01:38 PM EDT

© Getty

The city of Charlottesville, Va., on Friday said it plans to remove two bronze statues of Confederate soldiers on Saturday, including one of Robert E. Lee that was at the site of the violent “Unite the Right” rally in 2017.

A second statue -- one of Confederate general Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson -- will also be removed, according to a news release from the city.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/562286-charlottesville-to-take-down-robert-e-lee-statue-on-saturday
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Charlottesville to take down Robert E. Lee statue on Saturday
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 09:48:52 pm »
A direct result of all the yankees that have fled the north for cheaper living down south,who brought their mindset with them.

It should be illegal to allow Yankees to immigate to America.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 10:23:46 pm »
A direct result of all the yankees that have fled the north for cheaper living down south,who brought their mindset with them.

It should be illegal to allow Yankees to immigate to America.

I'll play Devil's Advocate....Who decided to put the statue up in the first place?   Did the blacks living there have a say?   Personally I don't care for statues being taken down, but this is a point that the people who oppose these statues always mention, and I really don't know how to counter it.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 10:35:54 pm »
All the statues that Antifa and BLM are tearing down ...
They are all Democrats.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 11:28:39 pm »
I'll play Devil's Advocate....Who decided to put the statue up in the first place?   Did the blacks living there have a say?   Personally I don't care for statues being taken down, but this is a point that the people who oppose these statues always mention, and I really don't know how to counter it.

I don't like the statues being taken down either, but it's up to the local taxpayers.  If the majority (without regard to race) makes clear that it wants a statue removed, then the statue should be removed.

Government is the servant of the citizen.  I might not agree with the citizens, but I don't live there so it's not my call.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 11:29:43 pm by HoustonSam »
James 1:20

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 11:44:28 pm »
When is the statue of Robert Byrd or that hideous statue of Nancy Pelosi going to be 'town down'?
If you think this is NOT all about Democrat subterfuge, then you deserve to be ruled by them.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 12:56:21 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 12:05:02 am »
I'll play Devil's Advocate....Who decided to put the statue up in the first place?

@dfwgator

The original citizens of Charlottesville,who lost family and friends in the War of Northern Oppression.

Did the blacks living there have a say?   

Even though there are Black Confederate graveyards in several southern states,INCLUDING Virginia,that is irrelevant because the only blacks that could vote at the time were free blacks. Besides,that was then,and this is now.

Back then it was lifelong residents of Charlottesville,Viriginia voting to put up the statues,and raising the money to do so.

Today it is Yankee carpetbaggers once again trying to destroy not only southern culture and statehood,but the our entire way of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2021, 12:08:47 am »
I don't like the statues being taken down either, but it's up to the local taxpayers.  If the majority (without regard to race) makes clear that it wants a statue removed, then the statue should be removed.

Government is the servant of the citizen.  I might not agree with the citizens, but I don't live there so it's not my call.

@houston

Pure,unadulturated HorseHillary. It is nothing less than an attempt to change and erase history in order to make the citizenry,the schools,and the local governemnts obey politically correct history.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2021, 12:11:18 am »
When is the statue of Robert Byrd or that hideouts statue of Nancy Pelosi going to be 'town down'?
If you think this is NOT all about Democrat subterfuge, then you deserve to be ruled by them.

@240B

:amen: :amen: :amen:

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2021, 12:31:05 am »
@houston

Pure,unadulturated HorseHillary. It is nothing less than an attempt to change and erase history in order to make the citizenry,the schools,and the local governemnts obey politically correct history.

Help me understand your position here @sneakypete.  Are you saying that the majority of people in Charlottesville *do not want* these statues removed?  That might actually be the case; I would be very happy if such data materialized and changed the decision up there but I haven't seen anything to suggest it.

Or are you saying that government can ignore the wishes of a majority of tax paying citizens?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2021, 03:13:55 am »
Help me understand your position here @sneakypete.  Are you saying that the majority of people in Charlottesville *do not want* these statues removed?  That might actually be the case; I would be very happy if such data materialized and changed the decision up there but I haven't seen anything to suggest it.

@HoustonSam

Don't really know,don't really care. History is history,and you have no right to change or erase it.

Or are you saying that government can ignore the wishes of a majority of tax paying citizens?

Yes.

Once again,you can NOT change history.

Online corbe

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2021, 03:22:36 am »
   On the 4th of July weekend I, again, relived the entire Civil War on YouTube.  Gettysburg was decisive. 
   Robert E. Lee was considered G_d like after the War for many years in Southern Culture, more so than anyone else associated with that CF.

Age of Reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNBgMy0dAe8
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2021, 04:33:31 am »
How many white folks were polled about putting up statues of George Floyd?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2021, 04:47:01 am »

You ask that as if it doesn't already.

My opinion is that monuments should neither be lightly erected nor torn down. Something that person did caused them to be held in high enough esteem that their effigy was crafted in stone or metal and placed in public view. All that has changed is the lens by which we view what they did.

Considering that there were free blacks in the South, the South that Lee and Jackson were defending from Northern Invasion, wasn't being defended just for whites, but for all Southerners, all of whom suffered when the Northern Armies moved through in conquest, whether being press ganged into labor, robbed blind by foraging troops, or any number of other things that conquering armies do when they invade.

Homes, farms, crops were taken, livestock rustled, horses "conscripted", goods stolen. Mills, barns, businesses and homes were put to the torch. Despite the twist that the South fought to defend slavery and nothing else that is taught now as "history", those men fought to defend their families, homes, and homeland, as most did not even own a slave.
It was the Union troops who invaded the South.
Invade my home State, and I'll be out there somewhere doing what I can to resist, too.
I don't care who you are.

That Lee and Jackson were iconic figures in that resistance to being militarily forced to rejoin the Union made them heroes to most, if not all Southerners.

Now, over a century and a half later, they are viewed through a different lens, colored by modern race theories and oversimplified accounts of the war and its causes, by people who seldom, if ever, want for the basic things those who fought were defending.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 04:48:49 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2021, 02:38:17 pm »
Send it over to my house. I'm a descendant of R.E. Lee's uncle.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2021, 03:04:09 pm »
I am hedging everyone pretty much can guess how I feel.

888mouth 888mouth 888mouth
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2021, 03:08:12 pm »
Send it over to my house. I'm a descendant of R.E. Lee's uncle.

I understand that Trump had an idea and a plan to create a heritage park where all the nation's Confederate statues could be relocated.  If that could come to fruition, I would venture a bet that it would be one of the most visited parks annually in the country.  These SOB BLM terrorist bastards can yank them down, but they can not fully destroy our heritage. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2021, 07:29:37 pm »
I understand that Trump had an idea and a plan to create a heritage park where all the nation's Confederate statues could be relocated.  If that could come to fruition, I would venture a bet that it would be one of the most visited parks annually in the country.  These SOB BLM terrorist bastards can yank them down, but they can not fully destroy our heritage.

@catfish1957

The goal of the left is to destroy EVERY link to ALL heritiges,and make us all "citizuns ob de wurld!"

You can't tear apart a nation that is proud of it's heritige.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2021, 09:35:41 pm »
@catfish1957

The goal of the left is to destroy EVERY link to ALL heritiges,and make us all "citizuns ob de wurld!"

You can't tear apart a nation that is proud of it's heritige.
You are correct, @sneakypete .

It took years for the Marxists to finally convince enough people that the Confederate Battle Flag is a "symbol of hate" rather than the banner of forces defending their homeland from military conquest.

Now, within a couple of years of tearing down the first statues of Confederate warriors, they are ranting that the flag of the Union is a "symbol of hate"...

I'm all for "reparations" at this point, for those who hate this country, so long as it takes the form of a one way ticket to the country of the recipient's choice, a passport which expires upon their arrival there, and a few hundred dollars in travel money. AMF!

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2021, 10:01:23 pm »
"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"

Virgil Caine is the name
And I served on the Danville train
'Till Stoneman's cavalry came
And tore up the tracks again

In the winter of '65
We were hungry, just barely alive
By May the 10th, Richmond had fell
It's a time I remember, oh so well

The night they drove old Dixie down
And the bells were ringing
And the people were singing
They went, "Na, na, la, na, na, na"

Back with my wife in Tennessee
When one day she called to me
Said "Virgil, quick, come see,
There goes the Robert E. Lee!"

Now, I don't mind chopping wood
And I don't care if the money's no good
You take what you need
And you leave the rest
But they should never
Have taken the very best

And all the people were singing

Like my father before me
I will work the land
And like my brother above me
Who took a rebel stand

He was just 18, proud and brave
But a Yankee laid him in his grave
I swear by the mud below my feet
You can't raise a Caine back up
When he's in defeat

And all the people were singing

And all the bells were ringing
And the people were singing

-Robbie Robertson-

The Band

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online corbe

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2021, 10:36:18 pm »
   Thanks for that song @Hoodat   :beer:

Online corbe

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2021, 01:06:14 am »
You ask that as if it doesn't already.

My opinion is that monuments should neither be lightly erected nor torn down. Something that person did caused them to be held in high enough esteem that their effigy was crafted in stone or metal and placed in public view. All that has changed is the lens by which we view what they did.

Considering that there were free blacks in the South, the South that Lee and Jackson were defending from Northern Invasion, wasn't being defended just for whites, but for all Southerners, all of whom suffered when the Northern Armies moved through in conquest, whether being press ganged into labor, robbed blind by foraging troops, or any number of other things that conquering armies do when they invade.

Homes, farms, crops were taken, livestock rustled, horses "conscripted", goods stolen. Mills, barns, businesses and homes were put to the torch. Despite the twist that the South fought to defend slavery and nothing else that is taught now as "history", those men fought to defend their families, homes, and homeland, as most did not even own a slave.
It was the Union troops who invaded the South.
Invade my home State, and I'll be out there somewhere doing what I can to resist, too.
I don't care who you are.

That Lee and Jackson were iconic figures in that resistance to being militarily forced to rejoin the Union made them heroes to most, if not all Southerners.

Now, over a century and a half later, they are viewed through a different lens, colored by modern race theories and oversimplified accounts of the war and its causes, by people who seldom, if ever, want for the basic things those who fought were defending.

Lee and Jackson are certainly heroes in my book, as are many others who wore the gray, including my own ancestors.  I consider the removal of Confederate monuments a misunderstanding of Constitutional liberty and a retrograde movement in American culture, and it makes me sad to see these statues being taken down.

But I don't see any evidence that removing the statues of Lee and Jackson in Charlottesville, or in Richmond, or the statue of Forrest in Memphis, is against the will of the majority of taxpayers in these locations.  And I thought people around here expect government to be the servant of the taxpayer.

Whether or not you and I like it, the lens actually has changed.  I'm not happy about that change and I certainly don't agree with it, but I recognize it as simple fact.  Even in the South people younger than my generation (I'll be 60 later this year) generally know very little about the War and are largely ignorant of any aspect of the War other than emancipation.  Reliable understanding of Reserved Powers or of Checks and Balances or of the actual events that gradually led to emancipation over decades or of other causes of the War or of how slavery actually came to an end legally simply does not exist anymore.  And the public school teachers who are supposed to be the leaders in providing that understanding are more interested in perpetuating that ignorance by teaching "Critical Race Theory".

I wish Confederate statues would be left in place.  But leaving them in place will much more likely subject them to graffiti and vandalism than teach anyone lessons about Constitutional liberty or American history.  To protect the statues themselves it is probably best that they be removed to locations where vandalism will be far less likely.  The few of us remaining who try to reflect on history and ordered liberty will have to find other, more effective, ways to encourage others to similar understanding.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2021, 01:32:45 am »
@HoustonSam
But I don't see any evidence that removing the statues of Lee and Jackson in Charlottesville, or in Richmond, or the statue of Forrest in Memphis, is against the will of the majority of taxpayers in these locations.  And I thought people around here expect government to be the servant of the taxpayer.

And, short of a truly anonymous poll, you won't. Let the pigeons poop on their Escalades.

In the current environment of tearing down statues on public property by roving gangs of "mostly peaceful protesters", and in the climate of doxxing and threatening (if not terrorizing more directly) people who speak out against the narrative of "systemic racism", how many are going to come forward in protest? Keep in mind that when people did protest the removal of statues in Charlottesville, they were herded into conflict with opposing protesters, painted as dangerous radicals in the mass media, and practically all accused of being white supremacists. That was then, and the climate for those who go against the well protected radicals who are behind tearing down monuments and burning, looting, and even  murder, has only become more hostile.

It has been my experience that the funding, organization, and the agitators in such instances are NOT local, and that has been the case (at least) since the 1960s when agitators from Washington, D.C. came into the small community I lived in in rural Maryland trying to incite racial tensions where there were none. (The local Blacks kicked them out.) During that same era, the purveyors of the hippie movement regularly flew (YES! FLEW!) across the country to spread their 'message' of "Turn on, tune in, drop out" (but dropouts couldn't afford plane tickets, those were expensive!) In the protests against the Dakota Access Pipeline, 95% of those arrested were from out of State.

You can bet your favorite anatomical part that the same pattern would be followed to exact vengeance against anyone who kept those monuments from being torn down in Charlottesville, whether a private citizen, or a public figure.

While these might seem like 'small town' matters, in fact they are just the swipes of the tentacles of a very well organized, funded, and extensive network assaulting the very history and fabric of this nation.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 01:35:32 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis