Author Topic: Huge surprise ambulance bills survive new Biden rule: 'Congress dropped the ball'  (Read 396 times)

Online corbe

Huge surprise ambulance bills survive new Biden rule: 'Congress dropped the ball'

by Cassidy Morrison, Healthcare Reporter

July 08, 2021 06:08 AM

Patients in need of ambulance rides will still be at risk of receiving unexpected medical bills in January when a 2020 law to ban all other surprise bills goes into effect.

“It is a shame that Congress didn't tackle one of the biggest types of surprise bills that patients have absolutely no control over. … Congress dropped the ball,” said Patricia Kelmar, director of healthcare campaigns at the Public Interest Research Group, a consumer protection and public health advocacy organization.

Ground ambulance services were excluded from the ban on surprise medical billing practices in most cases included in the No Surprises Act signed into law in December. Instead, the legislation requires the departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Treasury to appoint an advisory committee that will recommend options to protect patients from unexpected bills for ground ambulances. The committee has not issued recommendations yet, but, per the law, it has until September to do so.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/huge-surprise-ambulance-bills-survive-new-biden-rule
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline thackney

If you think a ground ambulance is expensive, I hope you never get a surprise bill from a Life Flight helicopter.  I think it was $60,000 a couple years ago when a rider at our stables got stepped on his chest by a horse.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
If you think a ground ambulance is expensive, I hope you never get a surprise bill from a Life Flight helicopter.  I think it was $60,000 a couple years ago when a rider at our stables got stepped on his chest by a horse.

Free with Medicaid I believe
Countdown to Resignation

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Was the horse ok?   :smokin:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline thackney

Was the horse ok?   :smokin:

Was given a couple treats to calm it down then hay back in the stall.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline berdie

The local "go to" ambulance service around here offers a policy that is $60 a year that covers ground/air services not covered by Medicare/supplement. As long as it is within their service area. Which is where I am 99% of the time. I haven't had to use it, and hope I don't, to see how it works.

I did go to one of those seminars that covers more wide spread service....too cost prohibitive for me. I guess I'll just roll the dice...again.