Author Topic: Banning Plastics Will Make The Planet Worse Off. Here’s Why  (Read 523 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Climate Change Dispatch by Pierre Desrochers and Joanna Szurmak on Jul 1, 2021

According to many environmentalists, coal, petroleum, and natural gas, together with the fuels, lubricants, and myriad other products these fossil fuels make possible, help drive widespread environmental problems.

As the journalist and activist Murray Dobbin put it a few years ago, the “ever-increasing production and use of fossil fuels will, over time, kill billions of us and irreversibly change all life on the planet.”

Taking its cue from the likes of Dobbin, the Trudeau government wants to designate all plastic manufactured items — not just straws! — as “toxic.” Surely such a bold move is justified in light of how terrible things have become for humans and their planet.

Yet, one has to wonder.

As many people have pointed out, plastic materials have many benefits. They’re versatile, cheap, lightweight, and resistant. They protect our food, reduce food waste and help produce a lot more food a lot more efficiently — and therefore more cheaply — than was possible a few decades ago.

Before 1850, approximately three-quarters of all products used by human beings came from living plants or animals competing for resources on the Earth’s surface.

As Harvard geologist Kirtley Fletcher Mather observed in 1944: “Today only about 30 percent of the things used in industrialized countries come from things that grow; about 70 percent have their sources in mines and quarries.”

Indeed, refined petroleum products (fuels, lubricants), synthetic products (plastic, fiber, cloth, rubber, sweeteners, vitamins, medicines), metals, sand, clay, silicon, potash, and phosphate have gradually reduced the demand for: wild fauna such as whales (for whale oil, baleen, perfume base), birds (for feathers), elephants, polar bears, alligators, and other wild animals (for ivory, fur, and skin), trees and other plants (for lumber, firewood, charcoal, rubber, pulp, dyes, and green manure), agricultural products (for fats and fibers from livestock and crops, leather, dyes, and pesticides from plants), work animals such as horses, mules and oxen and the large quantities of food they consume and, finally, human labor in various forms (mainly agricultural work).

More: https://climatechangedispatch.com/banning-plastics-will-make-the-planet-worse-off-heres-why/

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Banning Plastics Will Make The Planet Worse Off. Here’s Why
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 01:51:05 am »
Math class...and chemistry...are hard.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 02:22:34 am »
Of course these wackos want us back in the Dark Ages,

But they will never give up their own toys, just force us to.

It's called submission
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 02:29:18 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 04:13:26 am »
I agree somewhat with the idea that plastics are bad - I mostly use glass, mainly because it is a natural product that can be used over and over and over... and when it is done, it can be ground into something resembling its original product, sand, and thrown right in the river with no effect.

But then, I also prefer leather to Kydex, a coyote lined arctic parka to a synthetic liner, and live against nearly every thing that the article says are improvements over the natural. I still use mink oil on my leather boots. So I don't think plastic has made things better. Just cheaper, and more disposable.

And using animals makes them valuable - and imposes management. What we don't NEED we find a nuisance... and a nuisance is soon gone.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 04:14:38 am by roamer_1 »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 05:08:03 am »

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 10:46:24 pm »
I've got just one word for you:

"Toxic"...