Author Topic: AOC: We Must Eliminate the Filibuster Because ‘Democratic Policies Are Popular’  (Read 352 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
AOC: We Must Eliminate the Filibuster Because ‘Democratic Policies Are Popular’

Hannah Bleau 28 Jun 2021

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) believes it is essential to eliminate the filibuster, which requires 60 votes to pass most legislation, because Democrat policies are “popular.”

Responding to remarks from Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ), who is adamantly opposed to ending the filibuster, Ocasio-Cortez argued political systems “all across the country” and “all across the world” use a simple majority to pass legislation and that the functions of the U.S. Senate should be no different.

“And frankly, here’s the thing, is that Democratic legislation, once enacted, is popular,” she said during an appearance on Meet the Press.

“Republicans have tried to gut Social Security. They tried to reverse the ACA [Affordable Care Act]. They tried to claw back on legislation that has passed by simple majority in the Senate. They have not been able to because Democratic policies are popular,” she asserted, noting they are “difficult to undo” once put into place.

“So I do not believe in the defeatism of saying we’ll lose the future. This will automatically mean that anything we do now is going to be reversed, so we’ll not do anything now. Our job is to legislate. Our job is to help people. Our job is to do as much as we can,” the New York Democrat continued.

“Even if that’s the case, wouldn’t it be better for people’s health care and voting rights for three years instead of zero years? Even you can see the point that I don’t think it is true in the first place,” she added.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/06/28/aoc-we-must-eliminate-filibuster-because-democratic-policies-are-popular/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Man she sure does have a big brain! 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Literal translation:  "We will bury you."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Know what else is anti-Democratic, abusing the reconciliation process to ram through policies without minority party input or vote.

The QTip-in-Chief may have shown the Dems' hand on Thursday.  My interpretation was that the Dems wanted the Senate to pass a financial bill as a trojan horse to get to the reconciliation process where they'd tack on their trillion dollars' progressive wish list.  If this is the reality of the situation, no Republican Senator should vote for anything that could lead to reconciliation.

I find this whole Filibuster business perplexing.

When I was a youngin', the Filibuster was that it required 60 votes to stop debate.  Not 60 votes to pass legislation.

Senators would spend hours, occassionally days, on the Senate floor reading phone books, etc., to keep debate open to delay or thwart the passage of legislation.

What the hell happened to the US Senate?  Makes me yearn for the ol' days of earmarks and debate filibusters, when 50/51 votes was enough to pass a bill.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Literal translation:  "We will bury you."

Did she slap her size 10 bogenville on the table?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.