Author Topic: Blackouts Loom in California as Electricity Prices Are ‘Absolutely Exploding’  (Read 1982 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Two inexorable energy trends are underway in California: soaring electricity prices and ever-worsening reliability – and both trends bode ill for the state’s low- and middle-income consumers.

Last week, the state’s grid operator, the California Independent System Operator, issued a “flex alert” that asked the state’s consumers to reduce their power use “to reduce stress on the grid and avoid power outages.” CAISO’s warning of impending electricity shortages heralds another blackout-riddled summer at the same time California’s electricity prices are skyrocketing.

In 2020, California’s electricity prices jumped by 7.5%, making it the biggest price increase of any state in the country last year and nearly seven times the increase that was seen in the United States as a whole. According to data from the Energy Information Administration, the all-sector price of electricity in California last year jumped to 18.15 cents per kilowatt-hour, which means that Californians are now paying about 70% more for their electricity than the U.S. average all-sector rate of 10.66 cents per kWh. Even more worrisome: California’s electricity rates are expected to soar over the next decade. (More on that in a moment.)

The surging cost of electricity will increase the energy burden being borne by low- and middle-income Californians. High energy costs have a particularly regressive effect in California, which has the highest poverty rate – and some of the highest electricity prices – in the country. In 2020, California’s all-sector electricity prices were the third-highest in the continental U.S., behind only Rhode Island (18.55 cents per kWh) and Connecticut (19.19 cents per kWh.)

Before going further, let me state the obvious: California policymakers are providing a case study in how not to manage an electric grid. Furthermore, that case study shows what could happen if policymakers at the state and federal levels decide to follow California’s radical decarbonization mandates, which include a requirement for 100% zero-carbon electricity by 2045 and an economy-wide goal of carbon neutrality by 2045.

https://www.realclearenergy.org/articles/2021/06/24/blackouts_loom_in_california_as_electricity_prices_are_absolutely_exploding_782903.html

California is blessed with a wealth of oil and gas, just waiting for exploitation.

Yet it punishes its citizens, mostly those who could least afford it, by its actions.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Hoodat

But this is what Californians voted for.  They should be ecstatic.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
But this is what Californians voted for.  They should be ecstatic.
:pondering: Californian's voted for? I really don't think so, democrats with the help of ballot harvesting(FRAUD) illegal aliens residing in California voting at the behest and with assistance of democrats(ILLEGAL, FRAUD) voted for this, I sure as hell didn't nor did any other conservative in the state. By you logic we all deserve what Biden is doing because it's what 'WE' voted for. @Hoodat why did you vote for the destruction of the Republic?

Online Hoodat

@GtHawk

This is a State issue.  State policies caused this.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
@GtHawk

This is a State issue.  State policies caused this.
@Hoodat
And saying that every Californian voted for it is just silly, thus my comparison, which was every bit the same silliness.

Online Hoodat

I don't recall using the word 'every'.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.  Californians are getting what they've been asking for.  Whether they're bright enough to figure that out or not is another question.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
This could NOT happen to a more deserving group of people.

The Yuppie left will suffer enormously. For one thing,they won't be able to plug in their electric cars and will have to bring out the Mercedes and the BMW's and be ridiculed by their bicycle riding friends.

The illegal aliens might not even notice it. Many are used to this from "back home",and some most likely never even had electricity before crashing our borders and getting into publick housing.

We really need a law banning anyone from the entire left coast from moving to America.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@Hoodat
And saying that every Californian voted for it is just silly, thus my comparison, which was every bit the same silliness.

@GtHawk

I really don't want to offend you because you and I seem to agree about 99 percent of the time,but the question "WHY havent you moved from Ca already? Even people in the old commie nations of Eastern Europe escaped from communism,and they had to crawl through barbed wire and machine gun fire to do it. All YOU have to do is get into your car and GO.

AND.....,I am as serious as a heart attack about barring people from the left coast from coming to America. If this isn't done soon,the whole freaking nation will be just like Ca is now within a very few short years.

An alternative would be to just move to Mexico. Most of the people there are MUCH nicer than the 'murikan leftist buttcracks you have to deal with in Ca,and the living expenses are MUCH cheaper if you are on retirment,
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 01:04:56 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@Hoodat

@GtHawk

The ugly,ugly truth is that it makes no difference at all if you voted for it it or not,because it IS the law now,and if you stay there YOU are going to have to live with it,just like everyone else.

This is NOT likely to change in your or my lifetimes. The California we knew of when we were kids started disappearing in the early 1960's. This Clinton didn't happen overnight,and it's not going to end overnight.

My son and family just visited his in-laws who live outside Sacramento.

He said he could not discuss any politics as these life-long Californians blame only the Republicans for the ills of California, including rising crime, higher taxes and inflation.

Seems an increasing number of Californians are brain-washed by the leftist propaganda, and it explains why more people remain there instead of vacating the leftist utopia they have helped to create, as they believe the rest of America is evil.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

He said he could not discuss any politics as these life-long Californians blame only the Republicans for the ills of California, including rising crime, higher taxes and inflation.

Seems an increasing number of Californians are brain-washed by the leftist propaganda, and it explains why more people remain there instead of vacating the leftist utopia they have helped to create, as they believe the rest of America is evil.

@IsailedawayfromFR

Like I posted on another thread,"There should be a federal law forbidding left-coast denizens from immigrating to America."

Online Hoodat

Couldn't discuss?  You Couldn't shut me up in that situation.  I would have used facts to refute every belief they had.  Repeatedly.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
In California, even nominal "Republicans" are comfortable with the heavy taxes and regulation.  That's the dirty little secret about the CA GOP.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
In California, even nominal "Republicans" are comfortable with the heavy taxes and regulation.  That's the dirty little secret about the CA GOP.

@Cyber Liberty

Well,it's really all they know. The left took over Ca right after Reagan left,and that's been a WHILE now.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Couldn't discuss?  You Couldn't shut me up in that situation.  I would have used facts to refute every belief they had.  Repeatedly.
Would not accomplish anything.
Liberals do not accept 'facts' or 'reality' as a viable arguments.
Liberals live in a fantasy world they have constructed in their minds.
And nothing, no objective fact or even reality itself will ever sway them.
They vehemently reject reality, in favor of their fanciful delusions.
There is no way to deal with them rationally.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Would not accomplish anything.
Liberals do not accept 'facts' or 'reality' as a viable arguments.
Liberals live in a fantasy world they have constructed in their minds.
And nothing, no objective fact or even reality itself will ever sway them.
They vehemently reject reality, in favor of their fanciful delusions.
There is no way to deal with them rationally.

It's the price us Normals have to pay to "keep the peace."  :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Is your Daughter In-law, er, how do you say... normal?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Is your Daughter In-law, er, how do you say... normal?
Very.

Why do you think she would move out of California to Wyoming to be with my son?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
My wishes are with the good folks of CA.  But if there is one positive out of this, is highlighting the fact that eliminating fossil fuels as a souce or alternative for energy is rife with risk.

Again, will our country understand that?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
catfish wonders:
"My wishes are with the good folks of CA.  But if there is one positive out of this, is highlighting the fact that eliminating fossil fuels as a souce or alternative for energy is rife with risk.
Again, will our country understand that?"

They will.
Right after the industries that produce them have been shut down, the technologies lost, and the employee base to manage/work in those industries have been laid off and dispersed.

Something else is exploding - electric cars being charged.

https://youtu.be/nsBgDXHVorE

Offline AARguy

Boy, am I glad I ESCAPED California four years ago... just in time! Soooo much better here in Texas... LAND OF THE FREE!!

Offline Joe Wooten

It's the price us Normals have to pay to "keep the peace."  :shrug:

Then don't "keep the peace" any more. The libs have no intention of keeping peaceful as long as you disagree with them. I never pass up a chance to rub their noses in their idiocy.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Why is everybody panicking,when if you live in someplace like SF,you can live on wild hickory nuts and welfare?

There is PLENTY of money,man,and if the government needs more,all they have to do is print it!