Author Topic: 46.6C (116F): Canada records its highest ever temperature as the country’s west and the US Pacific n  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
By Strange Sounds -Jun 28, 2021

46.6C (116F): Canada records its highest ever temperature as the country’s west and the US Pacific north-west frazzle in an unprecedented heatwave

Canada has recorded its highest ever temperature as the country’s west and the US Pacific north-west frazzle in an unprecedented heatwave. Lytton in British Columbia soared to 46.6°C (116°F) on Sunday, breaking an 84-year-old record.

Lytton, which is about 150 miles (250km) north-east of Vancouver, surged past the previous Canadian record. That was set in two towns in Saskatchewan – Yellow Grass and Midale – back in July 1937 at a balmy 45°C (113°F).

Lytton was not alone. More than 40 other spots in British Columbia set new records.

The devastating heat dome

A “heat dome” of high pressure parked over the region has set new records in many other areas.

The US and Canada have both warned citizens of “dangerous” heat levels that could persist this week.

The high pressure zone is huge, from California right up to Canada’s Arctic territories and stretching inland through Idaho.

More: https://strangesounds.org/2021/06/canada-hottest-temperature-record-lytton-june-27-2021.html

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
This latest blast of heat is pretty scary.

Offline roamer_1

H.A.W.T.

My air conditioner arrives the 7th... Just about in time for week TWO.

But it ain't the heat that brought that decision. I can go sit in the creek for three hours a day and do just fine.
But if 100 degree temps are starting this year in the second week of June, and there is no let-up - Which is now relegated to praying for two weeks of rain in the end of July - AND if August is what August always is up in here, which is likely, the smoke is surely coming... And will be here for a long time.

So I got a 10k portable coming... that exhausts heat outside, but intakes inside the house. That way I can keep the place buttoned up in the smoke, and keep the internal temp reasonable.

Because this place is going to be a tinderbox in less than another week, and nothing short of a miracle will bring any rain till fall.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 02:14:56 pm by roamer_1 »

Online Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

• Technical
H.A.W.T.

My air conditioner arrives the 7th... Just about in time for week TWO.

But it ain't the heat that brought that decision. I can go sit in the creek for three hours a day and do just fine.
But if 100 degree temps are starting this year in the second week of June, and there is no let-up - Which is now relegated to praying for two weeks of rain in the end of July - AND if August is what August always is up in here, which is likely, the smoke is surely coming... And will be here for a long time.

So I got a 10k portable coming... that exhausts heat outside, but intakes inside the house. That way I can keep the place buttoned up in the smoke, and keep the internal temp reasonable.

Because this place is going to be a tinderbox in less than another week, and nothing short of a miracle will bring any rain till fall.

I had a Mitsubishi minisplit installed last year and so far it's working wonders. But we haven't seen this sort of extreme heat.

Offline roamer_1

I had a Mitsubishi minisplit installed last year and so far it's working wonders. But we haven't seen this sort of extreme heat.

You're Seattle-ish aren't you? That coastal rain forest won't like this either. But up here in the Boreal forest, it ain't the heat. It's the fire. This is looking like 3/4ths of a million acres up in smoke for Montana. And that ain't gonna be pretty.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 02:34:59 pm by roamer_1 »

• Technical
Your Seattle-ish aren't you? That coastal rain forest won't like this either. But up here in the Boreal forest, it ain't the heat. It's the fire. This is looking like 3/4ths of a million acres up in smoke for Montana. And that ain't gonna be pretty.

No i'm in NH..

Offline roamer_1

No i'm in NH, not in the heat.

Ah. Sorry. Dunno where I got that from.  :shrug:

But happy you ain't living in it.  :beer:

Online DefiantMassRINO

Based upon climatological events of 536 A.D., the quickest way to lower the Earth's temperature's is to nuke some volcanos.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 04:14:24 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
But...Is it a dry heat? :cool:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Well... it apparently got so hot that the whole village of Lytton spontaneously combusted.

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/02/1012698892/canada-hunts-for-survivors-of-a-fire-that-destroyed-a-small-town
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

• Technical
And this morning it’s actually cold here.

Offline roamer_1

And this morning it’s actually cold here.

It's always cold here in the morning. 56 right now,

• Technical
It's always cold here in the morning. 56 right now,

True for here too but only in non summer months. This is bizarre.

Offline roamer_1

True for here too but only in non summer months. This is bizarre.

I absolutely *love* that about living in the mountains. No matter how bad it gets during the day, sweet relief when the sun goes down. I have lived in the midwest, and hated every day for the oppressive heat at night, where the heat of the day remains. Puking hot all the time. None of that for me, thanks.