Author Topic: How an Errant YouTube Click Led to a Marine Receiving A Purple Heart After 52 Years  (Read 230 times)

rangerrebew

How an Errant YouTube Click Led to a Marine Receiving A Purple Heart After 52 Years
Vets   

By James R. Webb | June 25, 2021

A US Marine who was wounded in Vietnam has finally received his Purple Heart after a 52-year wait.

Bill Klobas was presented the medal by the Military Order of the Purple Heart on June 18. If Klobas hadn’t made an errant click on YouTube, the 71-year-old might never have received the medal.

By April 26, 1969, Klobas had been in Vietnam for 10 months. On that day, he and other Marines of 3rd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, were weeks into Operation Oklahoma Hills, a large-scale search-and-destroy mission against North Vietnamese soldiers hiding in the foothills outside Da Nang, Vietnam. As Klobas and his platoon emerged from the jungle into open terrain, they found themselves under heavy fire and vulnerable in the open.

https://coffeeordie.com/marine-purple-heart/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I thought you only got awarded the Purple Heart for enemy fire, not blue on blue.

Either way, I won't argue that the award should not be made, just trying to clarify.

(One of my father's Purple hearts was taken back because the tank round that wiped out most of his squad and wounded the rest in Korea came from an American tank.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis