Author Topic: Electric power fantasies are lining up  (Read 924 times)

rangerrebew

Electric power fantasies are lining up
« on: June 25, 2021, 04:19:31 pm »

Electric power fantasies are lining up
By David Wojick |June 15th, 2021|Energy

Seems like every big policy gun wants to take a shot at fantasizing the decarbonization and electrification of the energy system. No doubt that is where the government policy analysis money is going. Sadly I am on the wrong side of the issue, money-wise, but it sure is fun flogging the fallacies in these so-called studies.

A few weeks ago we looked at the hilarious effort by the International Energy Agency. They were growing the global economy, and electrifying everything in sight, but had the need for juice going down in the process. Clearly impossible.

Two other recent reports are also worth laughing at. Which one is worse is hard to say, they are that bad. The titles begin to give the flavor of fantasy.

https://www.cfact.org/2021/06/15/electric-power-fantasies-are-lining-up/

Offline Potluck

• Surrendered August 19, 1998
Re: Electric power fantasies are lining up
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 06:19:22 pm »
One can use all the fancy techno-babble one would like to impress and cast the imagery of scientific knowledge and expertise but what it all comes down to is making a secondary power source the primary.
We pay more for the convenience of power off the grid. Secondary power… whether it be a flashlight, a toy or a laptop.

The struggle here is basis physics… power in vs power out. The power and cost required to manufacture a secondary power source is a concept rarely if ever studied. For good reason.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 06:22:09 pm by Potluck »
"Hell is the impossibility of reason" - Oliver Stone

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 07:32:26 pm »
One can use all the fancy techno-babble one would like to impress and cast the imagery of scientific knowledge and expertise but what it all comes down to is making a secondary power source the primary.
We pay more for the convenience of power off the grid. Secondary power… whether it be a flashlight, a toy or a laptop.

The struggle here is basis physics… power in vs power out. The power and cost required to manufacture a secondary power source is a concept rarely if ever studied. For good reason.

The struggle to understand basic physics is common to ALL "green" energy advocates.....

Offline Potluck

• Surrendered August 19, 1998
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 08:19:22 pm »
The struggle to understand basic physics is common to ALL "green" energy advocates.....

As above. It’s fantasy. Instead of teaching ideology in schools maybe teach a bit of reality. Like reading, writing and arithmetic. My school must really had been backward. We were taught basic science concepts and how to think instead of what to think.

Anyway, it takes quite a bit of power to manufacture a solar cell.
The silicone must be mined or extracted, melted, formed into ingots, cut, cleaned, surface impurities removed, sensitized, screen printed and tested.
I think it’s a save bet there’s more energy going in than out.
But nobody publishes a study concerning that. Here again, rely on ignorance instead of real education.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 08:25:20 pm by Potluck »
"Hell is the impossibility of reason" - Oliver Stone

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 08:49:45 pm »
I sometimes struggle with basic physics, not having pursued higher edjumacation, BUT I like to think I have a good amount common sense and an above average bovine excrement detector. At least we aren't being bombarded with cold fusion stories........it's the future man! Just one more thing I don't miss from TOS.

Online The_Reader_David

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 04:01:39 am »
Were they serious about "decarbonizing" the energy economy, they would be pushing for standardized nuclear reactors.  If they don't like scary uranium reactors that produce plutonium as a byproduct, they could push for thorium reactors, but not a peep about that technology is heard, just calls for falsely named "renewables" by which is really mean direct or indirect capture of solar energy -- even hydroelectric is really indirect solar, as it is the sun that drives the water cycle that gets the water to the top of mountain ranges, even as wind relies on temperature gradients from the sun -- or rather direct or indirect capture of solar energy not involving burning wood or other vegetation.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 04:27:52 am »
I sometimes struggle with basic physics, not having pursued higher edjumacation, BUT I like to think I have a good amount common sense and an above average bovine excrement detector. At least we aren't being bombarded with cold fusion stories........it's the future man! Just one more thing I don't miss from TOS.

Basic physics used to be taught in high school. I had it at Garden City High in Glasscock County West Texas in 1972. NO calculus was necessary, just Algebra 1.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 07:10:33 am »
As above. It’s fantasy. Instead of teaching ideology in schools maybe teach a bit of reality. Like reading, writing and arithmetic. My school must really had been backward. We were taught basic science concepts and how to think instead of what to think.

Anyway, it takes quite a bit of power to manufacture a solar cell.
The silicone must be mined or extracted, melted, formed into ingots, cut, cleaned, surface impurities removed, sensitized, screen printed and tested.
I think it’s a save bet there’s more energy going in than out.
But nobody publishes a study concerning that. Here again, rely on ignorance instead of real education.

I agree, but I think you meant Silicon, not silicone.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis