Author Topic: It’s been a record-long time since the last EF5 tornado. What does that mean?  (Read 763 times)

rangerrebew

It’s been a record-long time since the last EF5 tornado. What does that mean?
The most intense tornadoes on the planet have been giving the U.S. a break.

As broken records go, this is a happy one. The United States has now gone an unprecedentedly long time between tornadoes rated EF5, the highest ranking on the Enhanced Fujita Scale, the gold-standard technique for assessing a tornado’s strength based on the damage it wreaks. Unfortunately, as with the stock market, recent performance does not guarantee future behavior.

As of Tuesday, May 25, 2021, it had been eight years and five days since the nation last saw a tornado rated EF5 by the National Weather Service. This broke a record-long quiet spell in a National Weather Service database going back to 1950, taking into account F5 tornadoes on the original Fujita-Pearson Scale as well as EF5s on the Enhanced Fujita Scale that debuted in 2007. (Ratings from the F and EF scales denote comparable damage, but estimated winds are lower on the EF scale.)

The previous record-long gap lasted from May 3, 1999, when a catastrophic F5 tornado slammed Moore, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma City, until May 4, 2007, the date an EF5 destroyed much of Greensburg, Kansas.

The nation’s most recent EF5 ripped across hapless Moore, Oklahoma, on May 20, 2013.

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2021/05/its-been-a-record-long-time-since-the-last-ef5-tornado-what-does-that-mean/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"It’s been a record-long time since the last EF5 tornado. What does that mean?"

It means...
... that "global warming"...
... is WORKING!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It means Gaia is saving up for a fast Eff Six....

(Yes, I know.)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Joe Wooten

Lower temperature differentials, lower energy storms.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
It means...

...this is tricky...

...weather is a chaotic and random phenomenon.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.