Author Topic: White House to Congress: Leave border wall funding to Texas, at up to $46M per mile  (Read 788 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by Benjamin Wermund 6/11/2021

A day after Gov. Greg Abbott said the state of Texas would pick up where former President Donald Trump left off building a border wall, the White House urged Congress to cancel billions of dollars in funding for the wall — making it clear that Texas will likely be left to cover the tab on its own.

And according to the White House, it will be a costly endeavor. The Biden administration said Friday that Trump spent as much $46 million per mile on some segments of the wall.

The administration completed a review of border wall projects Friday and made clear it doesn’t plan to build more. Officials said the administration will return $2 billion to military construction projects that the Trump administration had raided to fund the wall — including sending $22 million to build dining halls at Camp Bullis outside San Antonio.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/As-Abbott-moves-to-build-more-border-wall-White-16241913.php

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

I’m sure the contractors Trump had lined up have a lot of material in the pipeline they’d get rid of at a discount rate.

BTW have I said I hate leftists.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I’m sure the contractors Trump had lined up have a lot of material in the pipeline they’d get rid of at a discount rate.

BTW have I said I hate leftists.
Maybe they could pick up a lot of pipe from TC Energy. They have roughly 340 miles of it...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
If it's worth having, it's worth paying for.

Nothing comes "for free".

Texans, you have a choice to make.

Choose wisely...

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Always wondered why the price tag was so high for some steel beams, some welding, some digging and some foundation work.

At 46 megabucks a mile, that comes out to $8712 a foot.   And from the views of the Wall I've seen, about six inches of that foot is open air.

Hint:  Land mines + Signs (in English, of course) cost a hell of a lot less, and then we can feed the vultures for free.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Sled dog wrote:
"At 46 megabucks a mile, that comes out to $8712 a foot.   And from the views of the Wall I've seen, about six inches of that foot is open air."

I'd recommend that Governor Abbott put a call in to the company that built the Israeli border barrier along Gaza.

Probably cheaper, and a whole lot higher and stronger as well:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Always wondered why the price tag was so high for some steel beams, some welding, some digging and some foundation work.

At 46 megabucks a mile, that comes out to $8712 a foot.   And from the views of the Wall I've seen, about six inches of that foot is open air.

Hint:  Land mines + Signs (in English, of course) cost a hell of a lot less, and then we can feed the vultures for free.
I'm sure there is a reason for all that open air.

(They don't want it to interfere with the migration patterns of the twitterpated gnat or some such.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
I'm sure there is a reason for all that open air.

(They don't want it to interfere with the migration patterns of the twitterpated gnat or some such.)

The wall was designed as a steel beam picket fence to allow the Border Patrol to see through the barrier.   It is a safety feature.

I still stay the wall should be fronted with land mines and a barrier wire preventing accidental trespass on the loaded ground.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.