Author Topic: US Supreme Court rules half of Oklahoma is Native American land  (Read 513 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53358330

The US Supreme Court has ruled about half of Oklahoma belongs to Native Americans, in a landmark case that also quashed a child rape conviction.

The justices decided 5-4 that an eastern chunk of the state, including its second-biggest city, Tulsa, should be recognised as part of a reservation.

Jimcy McGirt, who was convicted in 1997 of raping a girl, brought the case.

He cited the historical claim of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation to the land where the assault occurred.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Re: US Supreme Court rules half of Oklahoma is Native American land
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 02:31:13 am »
Yeah, that's from last July, and no, I seriously doubt that the state of Oklahoma is going to go from the native Americans born in the US to the children of the aboriginals who are still around today.

I'm a proud Native American, living in California, but born in New York.   My ancestry goes all the way back to Africa, so I'm also an African American.   somewhat more recently, my more immediate ancestors came from Ireland on the one side and Germany on the other, but I'm as Native an AMERICAN as anyone is ever going to see.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.