Author Topic: The 8 most useless pieces of gear ever issued  (Read 329 times)

rangerrebew

The 8 most useless pieces of gear ever issued
« on: June 06, 2021, 12:06:28 pm »

Blake Stilwell
Posted On June 03, 2021 15:52:00

Quality of gear aside, when the U.S. military is equipping its troops, it tries to ensure they have everything they need to defeat the enemy and – if funding permits – not be entirely miserable in the meantime. Given the Pentagon’s track record with winning battles, one would have to concede they’re doing a pretty good job. Operationally, however, the troops figure out very quickly what’s going to work and what they need to improvise.

1. Mosquito Nets – Vietnam
Somewhere in there is a troop still trying to get out of his mosquito net.

One private in the Army who was deployed to an aircraft maintenance detachment in Vietnam mentions using the mosquito net diligently, just as he was trained. Except, when the base was attacked, he stumbled in the dark looking for the zipper, nearly getting himself killed in the process.

He, like many in Vietnam, never used the mosquito net again.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-trending/useless-gear/

Offline AARguy

Re: The 8 most useless pieces of gear ever issued
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 02:50:24 am »
WWII "tank destroyer". It ran on diesel. The Army at the time ran on gasoline. Tank destroyers spent a lot of time parked for lack of fuel.

Offline roamer_1

Re: The 8 most useless pieces of gear ever issued
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 04:06:43 am »
REALLY? Leather gloves with a glove liner?

I use US army spec wool glove liners all the time. In the fall, wool liners under cloth handyman gloves. In the winter, wool liners under leather Wells-Lamont Grips. Deep winter, or High Altitude, wool liners under arctic mittens.

Carpentry in the winter, wool liners under cloth handyman spats (gloves with the fingers cut off). I have spent whole winters hanging siding grabbing 8d and 6d galvies out of my nailbags with those woolys on all day long.

Notice any constant? The tricks are, wear wore out leathers or mitts that have plenty of room inside - If the leathers are tight, the woolies won't work. If it is wet, have plenty of spares - That's why cloth gloves in the fall - They are gonna get wet, and you'll do better with plenty of cheap sets than one sopping wet leather set.

If the hands are getting cold, bust out a glove warmer and slide it inside the wooly on the TOP of your hand. That's warming the blood going into the hand, and your fingers will stay warm(er). And again, oversized outers slip on and off easy.

Seriously... How did that make the list? I go through 10 pair of them wool liners every year.

Another mil spec favorite: Rain poncho and woobie. Would not know what to do without them
And milspec wool blankets - They suck for blankets unless you have 4 or 5 of them, but they are great to have around to carve out gaiters and the like. Most of my gear is milspec or private tactical made for milspec.