Author Topic: Tesla Fined $16K Per Owner for Throttling Battery Capacity, Charging Speed in Norway  (Read 405 times)

Offline thackney

Tesla Fined $16K Per Owner for Throttling Battery Capacity, Charging Speed in Norway
https://www.pcmag.com/news/tesla-fined-16k-per-owner-for-throttling-battery-capacity-charging-speed
May 24, 2021

Tesla could be forced to pay out millions in compensation due to a software update it released back in 2019 to help protect the battery in its electric vehicles.

As Electrek reports, the software update was released to "protect the battery and improve battery longevity," but it came with two big side effects. The first was a reduction in range, and the second was reduced charging rates at Supercharger stations for Model S and Model X vehicles with 85kWh batteries. The affected models were sold by Tesla until 2016.

The reduced range was significant and typically saw a drop of between 12 and 30 miles per charge within a matter of weeks following the update. Adding "much slower" charging into the mix just increased the frustration at what Tesla had done, which in turn triggered a number of lawsuits. In Norway, 30 owners banded together to sue Tesla and they have now won, with the judge awarding each owner $16,000 in compensation....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online DefiantMassRINO

Not uncommon for devices with litium ion batteries.  I believe Apple and Samsung have issued software updates, over the years, for their products, adjust battery performance - lifetime, chargetime, overheating.

Tesla is a tech company.  Their customers need to get used to software updates being the bane of their existence.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.