Author Topic: So You’re Going to Be a Company Commander: Four Pieces of Advice to Lead and Succeed  (Read 212 times)

rangerrebew

So You’re Going to Be a Company Commander: Four Pieces of Advice to Lead and Succeed

Brandon Morgan | 05.18.21
So You’re Going to Be a Company Commander: Four Pieces of Advice to Lead and Succeed

Maybe it was the thrill of the smoke-filled cave, leading a team of well-trained soldiers each carrying sixty pounds of oxygen tanks and wearing sweat-filled gas masks as they methodically cleared enemy forces from a mock chemical weapons bunker. Or perhaps it was the feeling of extraordinary accomplishment as our vehicles returned to our home-station motor pool after nine months of service overseas. It could have been fist bumping a newly promoted sergeant whose platoon leadership coached and mentored him to success. More likely it was a combination of all of these moments and many more that affirmed my belief that company command was the most challenging, rewarding, and demanding duty I have undertaken in my eight years of Army service.

Across the force, captains serve dutifully in critical staff positions in anticipation of the opportunity to take command of companies. The Army has a vested interest in their success, as their companies’ readiness depends on these officers’ leadership. From eighteen months as the commander of a Bradley mechanized infantry company, I offer these future company commanders four recommendations.

Prioritize Prioritization

As a company commander, prioritization of missions with effective resource and composite risk management is the foundation of all other duties and responsibilities. Commanders who understand, visualize, describe, and direct priorities through clear and concise communication enable leaders to allocate time, personnel, and equipment to accomplish their objectives efficiently. Conversely, commanders who fail to prioritize or clearly articulate often risk creating confusion, misdirection, and mission failure.

In my experience, I found that the best way to conceptualize my priorities was to think of three categories:

https://mwi.usma.edu/so-youre-going-to-be-a-company-commander-four-pieces-of-advice-to-lead-and-succeed/