Author Topic: Today's D Brief: Milley warns on Israel-Gaza fighting; LCS decommissionings; Is JEDI dead?; UFOs go  (Read 491 times)

rangerrebew

Today's D Brief: Milley warns on Israel-Gaza fighting; LCS decommissionings; Is JEDI dead?; UFOs go mainstream; And a bit more...
By Bradley Peniston and Jennifer Hlad
May 18, 2021

The D Brief

Milley issues warning on Israel-Gaza fighting. “My assessment is that you risk broader destabilization and you risk a whole series of negative consequences if the fighting continues,” Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters as he flew to Brussels for discussions with NATO allies. “So in my view, I think de-escalation is a smart course of action at this point for all parties concerned.” (Reuters)

Fighting enters its second week. Washington Post: “The Israeli military said 62 fighter jets dropped 110 “guided armaments” overnight and early Tuesday on targets in Gaza, including Hamas commanders, rocket launchpads, and the militant group’s tunnel network in the territory. Palestinian militants targeted nearby Israeli towns and cities with rockets and large-caliber mortars, the armed groups said in statements Tuesday.”

Mapping the deaths. In the Occupied Territories, at least 212 people have been killed in the Gaza Strip by Israeli airstrikes and another 20 in the West Bank in clashes with Israeli security forces. In Israel, 10 people were killed by Hamas rocket attacks and another two died in civil unrest, the New York Times reports. “On Saturday, an Israeli airstrike destroyed a well-known tower that housed some of the world’s leading news media organizations, including The Associated Press and Al Jazeera. The strikes have destroyed 132 buildings in Gaza and left 2,500 people homeless, according to Palestinian officials.”

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2021/05/the-d-brief-may-18-2021/174114/