General Category > Science, Technology and Knowledge

Surprising number of EV owners switch back to gas power, study says

<< < (2/17) > >>

Weird Tolkienish Figure:

--- Quote from: thackney on May 18, 2021, 06:36:08 pm ---Seems like a good way to replace your new battery with an old worn out one.

--- End quote ---

I could see it being like a "propane tank" kinda deal, you never actually buy a new battery, just used ones, because swapping one out is infinitely cheaper. But what do I know?

Of course, I know nothing of the size of the batteries or the complications involved... and I do know the infrastructure just ain't there yet.

HoustonSam:

--- Quote from: Weird Tolkienish Figure on May 18, 2021, 06:26:57 pm ---i"m suprised they don't use a "swappable battery" type deal where you can just drive to a gas station like place and swap one out.

--- End quote ---

Industry will not be able to make enough batteries to even have one per EV at the projected number of EVs (which number I don't believe BTW); making enough extra batteries that they can be swapped routinely is simply not in the cards given the amount of rare earths necessary.

thackney:

--- Quote from: Weird Tolkienish Figure on May 18, 2021, 06:41:33 pm ---I could see it being like a "propane tank" kinda deal, you never actually buy a new battery, just used ones, because swapping one out is infinitely cheaper. But what do I know?

Of course, I know nothing of the size of the batteries or the complications involved... and I do know the infrastructure just ain't there yet.

--- End quote ---

Swapping out propane tanks is cheaper than owning and filling your own?  That was never my experience.

I do not see how it could be cheaper, just more convenient when traveling.

GtHawk:

--- Quote from: thackney on May 18, 2021, 06:36:08 pm ---Seems like a good way to replace your new battery with an old worn out one.

--- End quote ---
I remember Musk thought it was a great idea back in 2013 and Business Insider did a 2015 story on how it wasn't working out.https://www.businessinsider.com/teslas-battery-swapping-plan-isnt-working-out-2015-6   :shrug:

Sled Dog:

--- Quote from: Weird Tolkienish Figure on May 18, 2021, 06:41:33 pm ---I could see it being like a "propane tank" kinda deal, you never actually buy a new battery, just used ones, because swapping one out is infinitely cheaper. But what do I know?

--- End quote ---

So who do the survivors blame when the battery explodes and wipes out everyone in the car.

I can see how car manufacturers would want to stay as far away from that as possible.   

I can see how normal people would want to stay away from that, too.   I gave up my gas grill because I had no idea who had those tanks before and how they were used.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version