General Category > Science, Technology and Knowledge

Surprising number of EV owners switch back to gas power, study says

<< < (17/17)

Restored:
If you do it right, fuel for the electric car can be free. You can use other people's electricity to charge it. Our research park has free hookups.

BassWrangler:

--- Quote from: DB on June 03, 2021, 04:52:32 pm ---I don't think it matters if you are on the equator or not regarding the hand/arm and angle being an hour. Angles are angles. It only matters that it takes about 24 of them to make a complete circle. The big adjustment based on where you are is knowing when the sun rise and/or sun set is. If you know that then regardless of where you are the hand measurement still ought to work. I think...

--- End quote ---

It definitely matters if you are using the technique where you're measuring the number of finger widths between the bottom of the sun and the horizon. You can read more about it here.

DB:

--- Quote from: BassWrangler on June 03, 2021, 06:29:33 pm ---It definitely matters if you are using the technique where you're measuring the number of finger widths between the bottom of the sun and the horizon. You can read more about it here.

--- End quote ---

Yep, that technique is heavily dependent on what latitude you are.

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: DB on June 03, 2021, 04:52:32 pm ---I don't think it matters if you are on the equator or not regarding the hand/arm and angle being an hour. Angles are angles. It only matters that it takes about 24 of them to make a complete circle. The big adjustment based on where you are is knowing when the sun rise and/or sun set is. If you know that then regardless of where you are the hand measurement still ought to work. I think...

--- End quote ---

Yeah it does matter for telling time... Summer vs winter, the sun ain't in the sky nowhere near the same amount of time. Summer she rises at 4:30 and sets near 11pm... In the winter your lucky if it's up at 9 and it's gone at 4pm...

So telling time, you have to take that into account. But it really don't matter in the doing, because noon is always pretty much straight up, and it still works the same way to tell how long till the sun sets, even if it is longer between noon and when the sun sets... From straight up noon to four oclock is still four hands, and three hands from sunset is still 3hrs. Or thereabouts.

DB:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on June 03, 2021, 10:32:36 pm ---Yeah it does matter for telling time... Summer vs winter, the sun ain't in the sky nowhere near the same amount of time. Summer she rises at 4:30 and sets near 11pm... In the winter your lucky if it's up at 9 and it's gone at 4pm...

So telling time, you have to take that into account. But it really don't matter in the doing, because noon is always pretty much straight up, and it still works the same way to tell how long till the sun sets, even if it is longer between noon and when the sun sets... From straight up noon to four oclock is still four hands, and three hands from sunset is still 3hrs. Or thereabouts.

--- End quote ---

I was thinking about the rotation around the earth and not relative to the horizon. If the horizon is the reference then where you are matters a lot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version