Author Topic: First test of tropical seaweed farming for biofuels production begins off Puerto Rico  (Read 877 times)

rangerrebew

First test of tropical seaweed farming for biofuels production begins off Puerto Rico

Charles Rotter

WOODS HOLE, Mass. and La Parguera, P.R. – A team of researchers led by Loretta Roberson of the Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, has installed the first seaweed farm in Puerto Rico and U.S. tropical waters.

The research array furthers the design and development of a system for offshore cultivation of tropical seaweeds to support large-scale production of biomass for biofuels and other valuable bioproducts.

“Puerto Rico has stable warm temperatures and ample sunlight year-round, as well as a wide range of exposure to prevailing winds and waves. These conditions make its southern coastline an ideal test bed for exploring how environmental conditions influence the biological, physiological, and chemical properties of cultivated macroalgae, as well as the impact of seaweed farms on the surrounding environment,” says Roberson, the lead principal investigator on this research effort. Additional farms are being tested in Florida and Belize to assess scalability.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/05/14/first-test-of-tropical-seaweed-farming-for-biofuels-production-begins-off-puerto-rico/

Offline Joe Wooten

Nothing on how much federal subsidy for this project......

Offline thackney

In the article:

MBL received funding for this research from the U.S. Department of Energy’s Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) competitive Macroalgae Research Inspiring Novel Energy Resources (MARINER) program. The MARINER program seeks to develop the tools to enable the United States to become a leading producer of macroalgae, helping to improve U.S. energy security and economic competitiveness.

A little searching and we find:

https://arpa-e.energy.gov/sites/default/files/documents/files/MARINER_ProgramOverview_FINAL.pdf

...Phase 1 (Design Phase): The Design Phase will consist of design and techno-economic assessment including life cycle assessment of a complete macroalgae cultivation and harvesting ocean-farm system. ARPA-E anticipates that the Design Phase will be completed within a budget of $500,000...

Future Phases no listed cost estimates.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Joe Wooten

What I meant by that is the article linked to stated no costs to the taxpayers, as if it were privately funded through the agencies listed. Any article on a government program should include what taxpayer funds are being spent on it.

Offline thackney

What I meant by that is the article linked to stated no costs to the taxpayers, as if it were privately funded through the agencies listed. Any article on a government program should include what taxpayer funds are being spent on it.

But it is green so money magically flows from unicorn butts to pay anything that is needed, wanted, whatever...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
So raping the oceans is a good alternative to having all the soy-boys on bicycles?
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I wonder how high the fish kill will be when this dream becomes reality?

The schemes greenies have of course have consequences in the real world and I have heard nothing about this one.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington