Author Topic: ‘It got stupid’ and the many other reasons troops chose to leave the military  (Read 368 times)

rangerrebew

‘It got stupid’ and the many other reasons troops chose to leave the military

“I stopped feeling like I mattered. Like what I was doing was insignificant."

By Haley Britzky May 13, 2021

There are a million reasons why someone might choose to leave the military.

That was made clear after Sgt. Maj. of the Army Michael Grinston opened the floodgates on social media earlier this month when he asked to hear “some of the most preventable reasons” soldiers have left the Army. Hundreds of responses hit a variety of issues: racism, sexual harassment, work-life balance, height and weight requirements, an overabundance of red tape, and the lack of control some soldiers feel that they have over their lives.

We wanted to hear more, so we asked you, our readers, why you left the military. And you delivered.  While some responses pointed out things like bad leaders — “A senior NCO made the decision real easy for me,” said one man — for others it was much simpler; as one person on Facebook put it, “it got stupid.” 

All in all, the responses lay out a road map that can show leaders exactly why their troops might not be eager to reenlist for a few more years, and instead consider their next chapter in the civilian world.

One deciding factor that came up frequently was family: one woman said abuse of family care plans “is a real thing.”

https://taskandpurpose.com/culture/why-troops-left-the-military/

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Do you really expect that I will go to some godforsaken land to fight and die for people who obviously hate me?

Nope. So long all you bleep and perverts. You guys are officially "on your own".

You and all your Communist silly boys can take care of it. For me ... I am out.

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Why not send Antifa and BLM in my place?

They can finally attack a real enemy instead of constantly attacking innocent Americans who mean them no harm.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
For me, it was the "abuse of rank" when SNCO's, without command oversight, were permitted to define "their" top 3 for senior ratings that involved promotions.

I woke up one morning and said "screw it", don't need that shit anymore and dropped my paperwork that day.

Do NOT regret it one single minute.

(Anecdotal alert)

As for the "racism" claim, I served in the 80s, 90s and 00s.  Not once, ever, did I or any of my co-workers come across it.  I believe that if we had, we'd have dealt with it "correctly".  I'm quite curious, really, how this has become some big boogeyman in the service.  I think kids are being raised believing that if someone disagrees with them on any topic, it must be due to their melanin.  It's the only thing that remotely makes "sense" to me.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.