Author Topic: Electric cars may make driving too expensive for middle classes, warns Vauxhall chief  (Read 478 times)

rangerrebew

Electric cars may make driving too expensive for middle classes, warns Vauxhall chief

Date: 12/05/21
    The Daily Telegraph

Forcing drivers to go electric could make cars too expensive for the middle classes, the boss of Vauxhall’s owner has warned.

Carlos Tavares, chief executive of Stellantis, forecast a future where only the rich could afford cars because making them emissions-free would ramp up prices.

“I can’t imagine a democratic society where there is no freedom of mobility because it’s only for wealthy people and all the others will use public transport,” he said. The pandemic has underlined the public’s dependence on cars for “personal mobility”, Mr Tavares added.

Car manufacturers are confident about making vehicles that can meet environmental goals, he said, but questioned whether that could be done without prices rising significantly.

https://www.thegwpf.com/electric-cars-may-make-driving-too-expensive-for-middle-classes-warns-vauxhall-chief/

BassWrangler

They are expensive. But I think inflation is going to make all cars too expensive for many people soon.

Offline thackney

They are expensive. But I think inflation is going to make all cars too expensive for many people soon.

No problem.  I'm sure my 63 mile commute (one way) will be fun on these in a tropical thunderstorm.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

BassWrangler

No problem.  I'm sure my 63 mile commute (one way) will be fun on these in a tropical thunderstorm.

You can just relocate to the tent city near your workplace.

Offline thackney

You can just relocate to the tent city near your workplace.

With the horses and cows?  What about the turtle?

BassWrangler

With the horses and cows?  What about the turtle?

Yep, as long as they get along with the chickens and hogs.

Offline thackney

Yep, as long as they get along with the chickens and hogs.

One of my mares gets pissed every time the neighbor's chickens comes in her stall.  I don't think it is going to work in the long run.  I hope the cats eventually eat the evidence.

Online roamer_1

One of my mares gets pissed every time the neighbor's chickens comes in her stall.  I don't think it is going to work in the long run.  I hope the cats eventually eat the evidence.

That's what the pigs are for...  :whistle:

Offline thackney

That's what the pigs are for...  :whistle:

I have raised one pig in my life.  I am sure it was my last.

BassWrangler

Yeah, they are real pests too.

Online roamer_1

I don't do pigs either. Kosher and all... But I don't mind em, and will miss them up in the sticks. Not too bad if they are kept where they belong - which is in the woods. They are a holy terror on brush. Turn em loose in a thicket and you will have silva forest before very long at all.

And there is no denying they are the garbage disposal of the farm. Sure enough. Everything that don't go to the chickens goes to the pigs.

But I can tell you this. Even if I did have pigs, I will never have an old-school pig pen. Lord knows I did my time there, and it is an horror.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Electric cars may make driving too expensive for middle classes, warns Vauxhall chief"

Ummmm....
That's exactly the point, dummy....!

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Blonde or Brunette? And if not too impertinent, how long do you plan your commute to last?  :whistle:

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Rodents don't want Americans to ride in cars.

Cars are only for our Chinese overlords.

Peasants ride bikes and scooters, and only when they're allowed off the plantation.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.