Author Topic: Electric vehicles cheaper than combustion by 2027, study predicts  (Read 11693 times)

rangerrebew

Electric vehicles cheaper than combustion by 2027, study predicts

Datum: 10. Mai 2021Autor: uwe.roland.gross 0 Kommentare   

A prediction from Bloomberg. Only 5-6 years to wait to see if it comes true. If EVs and plug-in hybrids are going to be much cheaper by then, there’s even less incentive to buy one now. A looming shortage of battery materials could put a spanner in the works.
– – –
Electric cars will be cheaper to build than fossil fuel vehicles across Europe within six years and could represent 100 percent of new sales by 2035, according to a study published Monday, says TechXplore.

Carmakers are shifting en masse to electric and hybrid models in order to bring average fleet emissions under a European Union limit of 95 grams of carbon dioxide per kilometre, or face heavy penalties.

The study by Bloomberg New Energy Finance found that electric sedans and sport-utility vehicles will be as cheap to make as combustion vehicles from 2026.

https://climate-science.press/2021/05/10/electric-vehicles-cheaper-than-combustion-by-2027-study-predicts/

Online Kamaji

Re: Electric vehicles cheaper than combustion by 2027, study predicts
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 06:20:26 pm »
Where will all the additional electric power come from to power these cars?

Online DB

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 06:22:08 pm »

They'll burn natural gas and oil at power plants outside of view of course...

Online Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 06:23:21 pm »

Ok, but where will all the additional necessary power plants come from?  AFAIK, they haven't even started designing, let alone permitting, let alone constructing, the number of new power plants that will be needed.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 06:41:50 pm »
Ok, but where will all the additional necessary power plants come from?  AFAIK, they haven't even started designing, let alone permitting, let alone constructing, the number of new power plants that will be needed.

Fairy dust and unicorn farts will make all the electricity necessary to power the new electric  cars........

Online Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 06:45:55 pm »
Fairy dust and unicorn farts will make all the electricity necessary to power the new electric  cars........

That's probably more realistic than so-called renewables.

BassWrangler

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 06:46:19 pm »

Exactly. Or pipe in oil from overseas to run those plants (since Biden killed our energy independence).

But I do think the extra electricity needed is a bit overstated - typically people charge cars in the evening, when the demand for electricity is lower. This actually lowers the ratio of peak to average power, which is a good thing for the power companies.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 06:49:18 pm »

From right here, silly.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

BassWrangler

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 07:13:33 pm »
...But I do think the extra electricity needed is a bit overstated - typically people charge cars in the evening, when the demand for electricity is lower. This actually lowers the ratio of peak to average power, which is a good thing for the power companies.

The energy used in the transportation sector is double the entire delivered electric power system.  They won't replace it just by charging from the off peak times.

https://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/data/monthly/pdf/flow/total_energy_2020.pdf
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Kamaji

Online Kamaji

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 07:16:51 pm »
The energy used in the transportation sector is double the entire delivered electric power system.  They won't replace it just by charging from the off peak times.

The man with the data.  Exactly.  And so far, I haven't heard "boo" about any new plans to start building power plants that could keep up.

Stupid liberals.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 07:17:31 pm »
Of course it will be "cheaper!"  Why do you suppose the Shortbus Administration is instituting polices that dramatically increase the price of fossil fuels?  When gasoline hits $30 a gallon, electrics would look damned good by comparison.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

BassWrangler

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 07:17:39 pm »

Good information - thanks. Don't you think they will build more capacity of there is more demand?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 07:21:28 pm by BassWrangler »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 07:18:59 pm »
The man with the data.  Exactly.  And so far, I haven't heard "boo" about any new plans to start building power plants that could keep up.

Stupid liberals.

@thackney is a TBR treasure when it comes to the economics of energy!  We're lucky to have him.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 07:22:15 pm »
Good information - thanks

I overstated that as double.  The transportation energy input is more comparable to the energy input into the electrical system, rather than the delivered portion that I referenced.  Still massive, but not double in hindsight.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2021, 07:30:07 pm »
Of course it will be "cheaper!"  Why do you suppose the Shortbus Administration is instituting polices that dramatically increase the price of fossil fuels?  When gasoline hits $30 a gallon, electrics would look damned good by comparison.

That may be the ultimate end-game.

BassWrangler

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 07:30:33 pm »
I overstated that as double.  The transportation energy input is more comparable to the energy input into the electrical system, rather than the delivered portion that I referenced.  Still massive, but not double in hindsight.

@thackney - Given any increase in electric vehicles would be gradual, wouldn't the utilities just build more capacity as needed to meet the increased demand?

Online Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 07:39:49 pm »
Good information - thanks. Don't you think they will build more capacity of there is more demand?

With free-market capitalism, yes.  With government-controlled utilities, no.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline thackney

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2021, 07:44:24 pm »
@thackney - Given any increase in electric vehicles would be gradual, wouldn't the utilities just build more capacity as needed to meet the increased demand?

I think it will be more gradual than those pushing them realize.  And your point of mostly charging at night is true as well; that increase the capacity factor, or better utilizes the base load power plants.

I think utilities will be able to serve the load growth.  Mostly because the load growth is going to be relatively gradual.

Also, people are not just going to accept their current vehicles becoming worthless (people in general).  The market is going to take time to cycle out the petroleum based vehicles.  The economy cannot handle suddenly having that much personal property becoming "worthless".  And the production volume of electric vehicles to meet that full demand is far away.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 07:48:50 pm »

That may be the ultimate end-game.
Between $30/gas and operating permits/fees, like buying a class three rifle (full auto capable), and limiting the pool of vehicles and parts, yeah, an oxcart beats walking...

It isn't stopping you from traveling, just use your feet...

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Idiot

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2021, 07:54:24 pm »
Won't we all have solar on our houses by then?  Just semi-kidding as I have several friends that are putting them on their roofs.

Offline thackney

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2021, 08:05:48 pm »
Won't we all have solar on our houses by then?  Just semi-kidding as I have several friends that are putting them on their roofs.

My neighbor spent $60,000 on a 17kW system.  No batteries.

Even with the $27,000 tax credit, I see no way he breaks even in 20 years.

Online DB

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2021, 08:54:55 pm »

Stupid liberals.

It is short way more than just power plants. The infrastructure to carry that newly generated power isn't there either. And that is no minor task by a long shot.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2021, 08:58:28 pm »
Well,DUHHHHHHH!

By the time they get through taxing gasoline and gasoline-powered cars and giving tax breaks to electric stuff,only the "Ferarri Class will be able to afford to drive gasoline autos,and they won't care about the additional costs because it will add to their "snob status" as "one of the privileged".

We all know how the goobermint works. They tax the hell out of what they ain't getting a cut of the profits from,and give federal subsidies to the businesses that "feed them" under the table.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!