Author Topic: Supreme Court Sides With Christian Student in College Free Speech Case  (Read 792 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Supreme Court Sides With Christian Student in College Free Speech Case
May 10, 2021
Written by Martin Walsh

With Democrats in control of Congress and Joe Biden in the White House, Republicans are battling multiple fronts to uphold the Constitution.

And conservatives just secured a massive victory at the U.S. Supreme Court regarding free speech.

The Supreme Court ruled in an 8-1 decision that a Georgia college’s speech code policy violated the First Amendment and that a student who was harmed by the policy can seek damages.

Justice Clarence Thomas issued the opinion of the court, writing that nominal damages claims are enough to establish standing to sue for a constitutional violation.

Chief Justice John Roberts was the only dissenter in the ruling favoring a couple of Christian students who challenged the university for restricting when, where, and how they could speak about their faith and disseminate materials on campus.

more
https://conservativebrief.com/supreme-court-sides-with-40032/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Chief Justice John Roberts was the only dissenter in the ruling..."

Jeeeezzz....
That oughta tell you sumthin'...

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The ruling was back in March  But anyway Roberts said this back then:

Justice John Roberts issued the lone dissent. Roberts agreed with the appeals court, which argued that because Georgia Gwinnett College changed its policy after Uzuegbunam sued, the case was moot.

“Today’s decision risks a major expansion of the judicial role,” Roberts wrote. “Until now, we have said that federal courts can review the legality of policies and actions only as a necessary incident to resolving real disputes.”

Roberts is FOS.   Thanks Bush for putting his ass on the bench
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The ruling was back in March  But anyway Roberts said this back then:

Roberts is FOS.   Thanks Bush for putting his ass on the bench

Maybe better than Harriet Myers but I doubt that.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't

I think not.   Harriet was a novice without legal training.   Her decisions would have come at random, and possibly she would have leaned on the other justices for guidance...maybe even the good justices like Alito, Thomas and Scalia.

If nothing else, her uniformed rulings would have probably followed a bell curve, whereas Roberts' decisions are becoming increasing predictable.   He believes the court needs a third extreme left vagina, and he's becoming one.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Online Hoodat

Alito replaced Miers' nomination.  Roberts was already on the Court.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Alito replaced Miers' nomination.  Roberts was already on the Court.

Yeah! I know but the comment still stands. Hopefully, we will never find out how awful a Justice Myers would have been.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien