Author Topic: Court watchers buzz about Breyer's possible retirement  (Read 460 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Court watchers buzz about Breyer's possible retirement
« on: May 01, 2021, 12:58:31 pm »
Court watchers buzz about Breyer's possible retirement
By John Kruzel - 05/01/21 06:00 AM EDT

The possibility of Justice Stephen Breyer’s imminent retirement is hanging over the Supreme Court as the current term enters its final weeks and Democrats cling to the slimmest of Senate majorities.

With the death of liberal stalwart Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg still resonant, a number of court watchers expect that Breyer, 82, will announce his departure this summer, clearing the way for President Biden and Senate Democrats to fill his seat.

“I’m sure Breyer realizes what a blow Justice Ginsburg’s non-retirement was to the possibility of ever having an even mildly progressive Court in our lifetime. And that describes Breyer — mildly progressive,” said Dan Kobil, a law professor at Capital University. “So I think he would not want to double down on what many view as her miscalculation.”

For his part, Breyer has said little in public about the prospect of his retirement. In an interview with Axios last year, the Clinton nominee said obliquely that factors like who the president is and the ideological makeup of the court were “not totally irrelevant” as justices weigh when to leave the bench.

Over the last 50 years, Supreme Court justices have tended to step down when the White House is held by the same party as the president who appointed them, a dynamic some legal scholars refer to as a “strategic retirement.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/551196-court-watchers-buzz-about-breyers-possible-retirement
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Re: Court watchers buzz about Breyer's possible retirement
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 06:16:14 pm »
They want to avoid the Ruth Buzzy Mistake, since Trump only got to appoint Backstabbing Barrett because the ancient crone Buzzy refused to resign when that fascist from Kenya could have appointed a muslim to the court for diversity.

But the Rodents could fail to re-steal the Senate in 2022, so they're pressuring Brayer to resign now.   Tney might even My Pillow him if he refuses.

More evidence of the need for judicial term limits and only nine seats on that bench.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.