Author Topic: $100 million geoengineering project proposed, to dim the sun  (Read 250 times)

rangerrebew

$100 million geoengineering project proposed, to dim the sun

By Damian Carrington | March 27, 2021

Editor’s note: This story was originally published by The Guardian. It appears here as part of the Climate Desk collaboration.

The United States should establish a multimillion-dollar research program on solar geoengineering, according to the country’s National Academies of Science (NAS).

In a report it recommends funding of $100-to-$200 million over five years to better understand the feasibility of interventions to dim the sun, the risk of harmful unintended consequences, and how such technology could be governed in an ethical way. The NAS said that cutting fossil fuel emissions remained the most urgent and important action to tackle the climate crisis. But it said the worryingly slow progress on climate action meant all options needed to be understood.

https://thebulletin.org/2021/03/100-million-geoengineering-project-proposed-to-dim-the-sun/

rangerrebew

Re: $100 million geoengineering project proposed, to dim the sun
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 04:29:08 pm »
Oh oh!  Bill Gates is in competition with the federalies. 22222frying pan

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 07:18:02 pm »
"$100 million geoengineering project proposed, to dim the sun..."

Sumthin' whispers to me that if this "works", it's not gonna produce the results they THINK it will produce...

... and the results that it DOES produce will be... disastrous...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 07:47:13 pm »
"$100 million geoengineering project proposed, to dim the sun..."

Sumthin' whispers to me that if this "works", it's not gonna produce the results they THINK it will produce...

... and the results that it DOES produce will be... disastrous...
Maybe they've been watching Snowpiercer and think they will run the train...

Convince me that the Industrial Revolution was not another period of creativity and expansion fostered by a warming climate, much like other similar periods in human history where the availability of foodstocks and better weather/health fostered periods of expansion, enlightenment, and exploration.  That the two coincide may be a cause/effect relationship, but the cause and effect are backwards. What if the industrialization we have seen for a century or more is the result of the climate changing naturally, and not the forcing factor for the change?

But, we can engineer our own extinction, even more effectively than an all-out nuclear slugfest and the conceptualized "nuclear winter", without all that nasty lingering radiation.

The planet has done just fine without any human input, and will continue to do so, so long as we don't screw it up by fixing things that aren't broke.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis