Author Topic: New research provides evidence that a single dose of psilocybin can boost brain connections  (Read 615 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Psypost  by Eric W. Dolan March 18, 2021

New research provides evidence that a single dose of psilocybin can boost brain connections

Scientists in Denmark believe the psychedelic substance psilocybin might produce rapid and lasting antidepressant effects in part because it enhances neuroplasticity in the brain. Their new research, published in the International Journal of Molecular Sciences, has found evidence that psilocybin increases the number of neuronal connections in the prefrontal cortex and hippocampus of pig brains.

Psilocybin — the active component in so-called “magic” mushrooms — has been shown to have profound and long-lasting effects on personality and mood. But the mechanisms behind these effects remain unclear. Researchers at Copenhagen University were interested in whether changes in neuroplasticity in brain regions associated with emotional processing could help explain psilocybin’s antidepressant effects.

“Both post-mortem human brain and in vivo studies in depressed individuals have shown a loss of synapses through the down-regulation of synaptic proteins and genes,” the authors of the study wrote. “Hence, upregulation of presynaptic proteins and an increase in synaptic density may be associated with the potential antidepressive effects of psychedelics.”

More: https://www.psypost.org/2021/03/new-research-provides-evidence-that-a-single-dose-of-psilocybin-can-boost-brain-connections-60095

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Yeah, but three-four doses can leave one laying on one's stomach drooling with an uncontrollable anal discharge.  Don't talk to me about the vomit, the user is on his/her own.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Hoodat

Somehow, I can't reconcile boosting brain connections for someone eating mushrooms out of cow pies.  Maybe it's just a Southern thing.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online corbe

I always had a pleasant trip on mushrooms whether raw or in tea.  Some would argue I've never returned from the trip(s).
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Time for JoBama to step up and make a connection.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Two Maryland Therapy Centers Show Psilocybin’s Effects in Action

https://theemeraldmagazine.com/two-maryland-therapy-centers-show-psilocybins-effects-in-action/

Therapy facilities like Sunstone Therapies in Potomac, Maryland, have started administering psilocybin to patients in medical settings. Although Sunstone is less than a year old, Chris Baer — the chief experience officer — said the research they collect is vital in de-scheduling psilocybin.

Treating Emotional Distress

Synthetic psilocybin combined with psychological support presents an unique and proactive way to treat emotional distress. As such, treatment centers and clinical trials have popped up in Houston, Atlanta, New York and more.

Psilocybin’s Unique Effects

“Psilocybin is a bit of a dream boat in the sense that you can’t overdose on it. It’s not toxic,” said Baer. “So physiologically it tends to be very safe. [But] emotionally and psychologically, it can be very, very challenging, and it can even be scarring if you were to do it in the wrong way.”

For example, in one study published in the Psychopharmacology journal, psilocybin decreased new cases of anxiety and dysphoria after as little as one exposure.

When it comes to brain activity, Baer explained, “there is growing fMRI data that demonstrates profound effects of psychedelics on brain activity. However, the results of this data will take researchers some time to better understand.”

Nevertheless, some researchers have discovered that psilocybin enables a “state of unconstrained cognition,” or less limited perception, according to a study published by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) in 2012.

This study scanned the brains of 15 subjects who were familiar with hallucinogens. Researchers scanned the subjects’ brains before and after infusions of a placebo or psilocybin.

The results showed a decrease in brain connectivity in key connector hubs in those who took psilocybin. In other words, it caused less restricted thought processes.

Therefore, depending on the dose, psilocybin can effectively broaden perception and consciousness.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Yeah, but three-four doses can leave one laying on one's stomach drooling with an uncontrollable anal discharge.  Don't talk to me about the vomit, the user is on his/her own.

Those symptoms sound like from peyote, not psilocybin. I have never had any bad effects from consuming psilocybin.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Those symptoms sound like from peyote, not psilocybin. I have never had any bad effects from consuming psilocybin.

So just what do snozberries taste like?

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
You tell me and we'll both know.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Speaking as a participant (one time only) and casual observers of "shroom takers" back in the 70's, the exact opposite seemed to be the case to me.

Unless maybe you think growling at a girl you know and biting her on the ass because you can't remember how to talk is just an acceptable alternate way of communicating?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Two Maryland Therapy Centers Show Psilocybin’s Effects in Action

“Psilocybin is a bit of a dream boat in the sense that you can’t overdose on it. It’s not toxic,” said Baer.

https://theemeraldmagazine.com/two-maryland-therapy-centers-show-psilocybins-effects-in-action/

@Elderberry

Uhhhh,yeah! Just like MDA,huh?

I guess this counts as proof that some researchers have a sense of humor?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!