Author Topic: Joe Manchin Seems to Rule out Filibuster 'Exception' Proposal to Pass HR 1 -- the 'Democrats Win Eve  (Read 181 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Joe Manchin Seems to Rule out Filibuster 'Exception' Proposal to Pass HR 1 -- the 'Democrats Win Every Election Act'
By Shipwreckedcrew | Mar 18, 2021 1:30 PM ET

Various liberal interest groups and the Democrat Party are searching for an end-run of the legislative filibuster in the Senate to enable them to pass HR 1 — passed by the House on a strict party-line vote 220-210 — which would mandate states to follow various procedures and processes in conducting elections which included federal office contests.  I wrote a breakdown of the various aspects of HR 1 in this earlier story — “House Votes To Create US Politburo and One-Party Government.”

Because HR 1 has nothing to do with the budget or spending levels, it cannot pass in the Senate via “reconciliation.”  HR1 — which is called S1 in the Senate — must get past the legislative filibuster which requires 60 votes to close debate in order to proceed to a vote.  That means 10 GOP Senators must vote to end debate on S1 before it could be passed by the Senate on a party-line vote.

Consider for a moment the optics of that.  The Democrat Party — holding control of the thinnest margins in the House and Senate EVER at the same time — wants to ram through on a straight party-line vote in both Houses of Congress a piece of legislation the purpose of which is to mandate voting practices that will increase their chances to maintain their control of the federal government.

That is “Banana Republic” stuff in any dictionary you use.

Joe Manchin has said repeatedly that he does not favor ending the legislative filibuster, and that he will not vote to change the Senate Rules to end the practice.

more
https://redstate.com/shipwreckedcrew/2021/03/18/joe-manchin-seems-to-rule-out-filibuster-exception-proposal-to-pass-hr-1-the-democrats-win-every-election-act-n345719
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I'd trust Manchin about as far as I could throw him.
And that ain't far.

I wouldn't be surprised when it comes down to the brass tacks, that he does just as he's told to do by "higher ups" (who themselves are being told what to do and say by unseen manipulators behind the curtain...).