Author Topic: Less electricity was generated by coal than nuclear in the United States in 2020  (Read 2271 times)

Offline thackney

Less electricity was generated by coal than nuclear in the United States in 2020
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=47196
MARCH 18, 2021

U.S. coal-fired electricity generated totaled 774 million megawatthours (MWh) in 2020, which is less than both natural gas-fired (1.6 billion MWh) and nuclear-powered generation (790 million MWh), according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration’s (EIA) Electric Power Monthly. Last year marked the first time that coal was not the largest or second-largest source of annual electricity generation in the United States since at least 1949. However, EIA expects U.S. coal-fired electricity generation to increase and for nuclear-powered electricity generation to decrease in both 2021 and 2022.

Coal-fired electricity generation in the United States has continued to decrease as coal-fired generating units have been retired or converted to use other fuels and as the remaining coal-fired generating units have been used less often. U.S. operating coal-fired electricity generation capacity measured 313 gigawatts (GW) in 2008. In that year, the earliest for which EIA’s State Electricity Profiles have capacity factor data, coal’s capacity factor was 72%. Capacity factors measure the actual generation output for a fleet of generators as a percentage of what those generators are capable of generating. By 2020, coal’s operating capacity had fallen to 223 GW, and the coal fleet’s capacity factor had fallen to 40%.

Nuclear-powered generation was relatively steady in the previous decade. Although several nuclear power plants were retired, that decline in capacity was partially offset by uprates at several plants and the addition of Watts Bar Unit 2 in Tennessee. U.S. nuclear power, with 97 GW of capacity in 2020, has less than half as much operating capacity as coal, but nuclear power plants are operated more intensively. Nuclear’s capacity factor in 2020 was 93%.

In the most recent Short-Term Energy Outlook, EIA expects U.S. coal-fired generation to increase and for nuclear-powered generation to decrease in both 2021 and 2022. EIA expects that increases in natural gas prices will make coal more competitive in the electric power sector. This expected increase in coal’s utilization more than offsets the upcoming retirement of 2.8 GW of coal capacity in 2021 and another 8.5 GW in 2022, according to planned changes reported to EIA by owners and developers and compiled in EIA’s Preliminary Monthly Electric Generator Inventory.

EIA expects nuclear-powered electricity generation to decrease because three nuclear plants (totaling 5.1 GW of capacity) plan to retire in 2021. Another plant, Michigan’s Palisades, plans to retire in 2022. One nuclear power plant, Vogtle, in Georgia, plans to add 1.1 GW of capacity in November 2021 and 1.1 GW in November 2022, based on information reported to EIA.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

More than 100 coal-fired plants have been replaced or converted to natural gas since 2011
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=44636
AUGUST 5, 2020

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Seems strange doesn't it that the most abundant energy source in the US is declining, and not due to free market forces.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
It would be better news if the coverage by nuclear power plants was rising.   

What with all the wetbacks the Rodents are inviting in, California needs to get serious about nuclear desalination plants to cover the looming water shortage.   

(I brought my daughters to a visit with my brother in New York a few years ago.  His daughter (15) couldn't figure out how CA could have a drought when the ocean was right there....the education kids get these days.)
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

Seems strange doesn't it that the most abundant energy source in the US is declining, and not due to free market forces.

Coal is essentially dirty.  The ash has to be carted away, it actually releases a large amount of radioactive contamination (large overall, not on a per-ton basis), and it's awkward to handle compared to gaseous and liquid fuels.

So the advent of fracking and the exploitation of vast stores of methane would have prompted it's decline eventually.

But, yeah, it's being suppressed for political reasons, not practical ones.   I bet West Virginia is really happy that they kept Man's Chin now, eh?
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Coal is essentially dirty.  The ash has to be carted away, it actually releases a large amount of radioactive contamination (large overall, not on a per-ton basis), and it's awkward to handle compared to gaseous and liquid fuels.

So the advent of fracking and the exploitation of vast stores of methane would have prompted it's decline eventually.

But, yeah, it's being suppressed for political reasons, not practical ones.   I bet West Virginia is really happy that they kept Man's Chin now, eh?
Coal is not dirtier than most other forms of energy, neither is its residual.

Go look at the process to mine elements to manufacture wind turbines or rare earth elements for solar panels.  And to dispose of these have prodigious environmental problems as well compared to coal ash.  All the same with nuclear energy.

And what you call the 'awkward nature of its handling' is actually what makes it an extremely reliable power source.  One can build a mountain of coal outside a plant and use it during the worst weather, while liquids and gases have to be transported to the plant, which is why so much power plant failures occurred during the recent Texas freeze.

One must not also forget that coal can also be converted into both gas and liquids to use as a fuel. 
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Fraccing's advent was 80 years ago. The use of horizontal drilling to exploit tight reservoirs and the development of multistage fraccing techniques is what led to the Natural Gas boom. But even that came on the heels of drilling for methane in coal beds. Google "coalbed methane".
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Fraccing's advent was 80 years ago. The use of horizontal drilling to exploit tight reservoirs and the development of multistage fraccing techniques is what led to the Natural Gas boom. But even that came on the heels of drilling for methane in coal beds. Google "coalbed methane".
Yeah, some people succumb to the fantasy of believing what the media tells them.

Offline Sled Dog

Yeah, some people succumb to the fantasy of believing what the media tells them.

You might do that, I suppose.

Coal is handy, because we have it here.   Other than that, it's messy.

Get over it.

We have better alternatives today, not one of which is windmills or sunbeams.

We should be burning more uranium and natural gas to replace the coal fired plants.   It's really that simple.

Just in case you missed the memo, coal has to be transported by trains.   It's more efficient to use natural gas simply because pipelines are better.

Coal is good stuff to sell to China and the turd world, sure.    But not for the United States.

Online Smokin Joe

You might do that, I suppose.

Coal is handy, because we have it here.   Other than that, it's messy.

Get over it.

We have better alternatives today, not one of which is windmills or sunbeams.

We should be burning more uranium and natural gas to replace the coal fired plants.   It's really that simple.

Just in case you missed the memo, coal has to be transported by trains.   It's more efficient to use natural gas simply because pipelines are better.

Coal is good stuff to sell to China and the turd world, sure.    But not for the United States.
Should we sell the Chinese all our coking coal?
Just the Anthracite,
or just the Bituminous/semibituminous coal?

How about the lignite?
For the past decades the coal power generation industry has spent untold billions in cleaning up stack output, and even the fly ash is a useful byproduct (used in the oil industry as well).

Not all natural gas is transported by pipelines, and methane is only one fraction of Natural Gas. Ethane, Propane, Butane (both Isobutane and Normal Butane, and a host of other Natural Gas Liquids) are transported by rail and truck as well. Pipelines account for roughly one third of the takeaway capacity for oil in the WIlliston Basin (Bakken  Formation, et.al. in North Dakota, Montana, and South Dakota) Rail accounts for the rest, and goes where pipelines don't. https://www.bnsf.com/ship-with-bnsf/energy/crude-and-lpg.html

I get it, you think coal is "dirty" because if you pick up soft coal, your hands will likely get some on them...but I can't think of a greater folly than rejecting the one form of energy we have in greatest abundance over NIMBY.

And I have worked in the oil industry since 1979.

Both coal and oil travel by unit trains, with the coal trains designed for the efficient loading and off loading of coal.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 07:02:39 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I sandblast now more often with Black Diamond coal slag than I do with sandblasting sand.

Should we sell the Chinese all our coking coal?
Just the Anthracite,
or just the Bituminous/semibituminous coal?

How about the lignite?
For the past decades the coal power generation industry has spent untold billions in cleaning up stack output, and even the fly ash is a useful byproduct (used in the oil industry as well).

Not all natural gas is transported by pipelines, and methane is only one fraction of Natural Gas. Ethane, Propane, Butane (both Isobutane and Normal Butane, and a host of other Natural Gas Liquids) are transported by rail and truck as well. Pipelines account for roughly one third of the takeaway capacity for oil in the WIlliston Basin (Bakken  Formation, et.al. in North Dakota, Montana, and South Dakota) Rail accounts for the rest, and goes where pipelines don't. https://www.bnsf.com/ship-with-bnsf/energy/crude-and-lpg.html

I get it, you think coal is "dirty" because if you pick up soft coal, your hands will likely get some on them...but I can't think of a greater folly than rejecting the one form of energy we have in greatest abundance over NIMBY.

And I have worked in the oil industry since 1979.

Both coal and oil travel by unit trains, with the coal trains designed for the efficient loading and off loading of coal.
And apparently a lack of appreciation of the enormous amounts of waste product inherent with uranium mining, water in nuclear plant cooling and waste disposal of spent material.

Not to mention the vast amounts of waste water natural gas requires to frac and produce wells.

Guess it is lost that in situ coal gas is a very low pollutant as it is pure methane and that coal can be readily converted to a gas using chemical methods, as well as into gasoline or other hydrocarbons like Hitler ran his tanks with during WW2.

The point is that Coal is no more 'dirty' than any of these which is being touted as clean alternatives.  And it is one of the most reliable of all power generation alternatives one can find, an extremely important attribute in power plants.

This is the type of perception by people who succumb to the MSM and are not connected to what happens in energy production.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 11:35:55 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline Sled Dog

And apparently a lack of appreciation of the enormous amounts of waste product inherent with uranium mining, water in nuclear plant cooling and waste disposal of spent material.

Not to mention the vast amounts of waste water natural gas requires to frac and produce wells.

Guess it is lost that in situ coal gas is a very low pollutant as it is pure methane and that coal can be readily converted to a gas using chemical methods, as well as into gasoline or other hydrocarbons like Hitler ran his tanks with during WW2.

The point is that Coal is no more 'dirty' than any of these which is being touted as clean alternatives.  And it is one of the most reliable of all power generation alternatives one can find, an extremely important attribute in power plants.

This is the type of perception by people who succumb to the MSM and are not connected to what happens in energy production.

Let's talk about the meaning of the word "enormous".

It takes 1 kg of U235 to generate the amount of energy released by 1,000,000 kg of coal

It takes 200 kg of uranium metal to yield 1 kg of U235.

Ergo, 5000 times as much coal has to be dug out of the ground as uranium to generate equivalent power.

But the waste from uranium mining is "enormous".

Yeah, sure.   That works.

But heck, what do I know?  I'm only a former reactor operator.   

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I was hoping that when I first heard of  Small Modular Reactors (SMRs), they would take off, but it seems, like with all new reactors these days, they are just not being built.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mini-nuclear-reactors-offer-promise-of-cheaper-clean-power-11613055608

The nuclear power industry is trying to bounce back after shrinking for decades, and shrunken nuclear reactors could be one key to success.

Combining new technologies, advanced engineering and a market-friendly approach, reactor manufacturers are developing new systems that produce less power but are much smaller and less costly than existing nuclear reactors.

The pitch: small modular reactors, or SMRs, that can be housed in compact containment structures and operate safely with less shielding and oversight. SMRs could allow power plants to shed their huge hourglass-shaped cooling towers and, in some designs, the reactors would be immersed in water to prevent overheating.

Nuclear power in the United States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_in_the_United_States

Nuclear power in the United States is provided by 96 commercial reactors with a net capacity of 98 gigawatts (GW), with 64 pressurized water reactors and 32 boiling water reactors.[1] In 2019, they produced a total of 809.41 terawatt-hours of electricity,[1] which accounted for 20% of the nation's total electric energy generation.[2] In 2018, nuclear comprised nearly 50 percent of U.S. emission-free energy generation.[3][4]

As of September 2017, there are two new reactors under construction with a gross electrical capacity of 2,500 MW, while 34 reactors have been permanently shut down.[5][6] The United States is the world's largest producer of commercial nuclear power, and in 2013 generated 33% of the world's nuclear electricity.[7] With the past and future scheduled plant closings, China and Russia could surpass the United States in nuclear energy production.[8]

As of October 2014, the NRC has granted license renewals providing a 20-year extension to a total of 74 reactors. In early 2014, the NRC prepared to receive the first applications of license renewal beyond 60 years of reactor life, as early as 2017, a process which by law requires public involvement.[9] Licenses for 22 reactors are due to expire before the end of the next decade if no renewals are granted.[10] The Fort Calhoun Nuclear Generating Station was the most recent nuclear power plant to be decommissioned, on October 24, 2016. Another five aging reactors were permanently closed in 2013 and 2014 before their licenses expired because of high maintenance and repair costs at a time when natural gas prices have fallen: San Onofre 2 and 3 in California, Crystal River 3 in Florida, Vermont Yankee in Vermont, and Kewaunee in Wisconsin,[11][12] and New York State is seeking to close Indian Point in Buchanan, 30 miles from New York City.[12][13]

Most reactors began construction by 1974; following the Three Mile Island accident in 1979 and changing economics, many planned projects were canceled. More than 100 orders for nuclear power reactors, many already under construction, were canceled in the 1970s and 1980s, bankrupting some companies. Up until 2013, there had also been no ground-breaking on new nuclear reactors at existing power plants since 1977. Then in 2012, the NRC approved construction of four new reactors at existing nuclear plants. Construction of the Virgil C. Summer Nuclear Generating Station Units 2 and 3 began on March 9, 2013 but was abandoned on July 31, 2017 after the reactor supplier Westinghouse filed for bankruptcy protection on March 29, 2017.[14] On March 12, 2013 construction began on the Vogtle Electric Generating Plant Units 3 and 4, the target in-service date for Unit 3 is November 2021.[15] On October 19, 2016 TVA's Unit-2 reactor at the Watts Bar Nuclear Generating Station became the first US reactor to enter commercial operation since 1996.[16]

There was a revival of interest in nuclear power in the 2000s, with talk of a "nuclear renaissance", supported particularly by the Nuclear Power 2010 Program. A number of applications were made, but facing economic challenges, and later in the wake of the 2011 Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster, most of these projects have been cancelled.

Offline thackney

I was hoping that when I first heard of  Small Modular Reactors (SMRs), they would take off, but it seems, like with all new reactors these days, they are just not being built.

@Elderberry

https://www.energy.gov/ne/nuclear-reactor-technologies/small-modular-nuclear-reactors

Building on the successes of the SMR Licensing Technical Support (LTS) program, the Advanced SMR R&D program was initiated in FY2019 and supports research, development, and deployment activities to accelerate the availability of U.S.-based SMR technologies into domestic and international markets. Significant technology development and licensing risks remain in bringing advanced SMR designs to market and government support is required to achieve domestic deployment of SMRs by the late 2020s or early 2030s.  Through this program, the Department has partnered with NuScale Power and Utah Associated Municipal Power Systems (UAMPS) to demonstrate a first-of-a-kind reactor technology at the Idaho National Laboratory this decade. Through these efforts, the Department will provide broad benefits to other domestic reactor developers by resolving many technical and licensing issues that are generic to SMR technologies, while promoting U.S. energy independence, energy dominance, and electricity grid resilience, and assuring that there is a future supply of clean, reliable baseload power.

NuScale and UAMPS agreements progress plans for SMR plant
https://world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/NuScale-and-UAMPS-agreements-progress-plans-for-SM

he Carbon Free Power Project (CFPP) will be a 720 MWe NuScale power plant, comprising up to 12 NuScale Power Modules, to be located at the US Department of Energy's (DOE) INL site. The latest orders are the result of recently signed agreements to manage and de-risk the project. They include the Development Cost Reimbursement Agreement between UAMPS and NuScale, and the USD1.355 billion multi-year Financial Assistance Award from the DOE to CFPP LLC, which is a wholly-owned subsidiary of UAMPS.

UAMPS and Fluor Corporation have signed a cost-reimbursable development agreement to provide estimating, development, design and engineering services to develop the site-specific cost estimates for deployment of the NuScale technology at the INL site. UAMPS will continue to evaluate the size of the power plant as Fluor refines the engineering of alternatives to ensure that the plant is the best overall cost of energy and size to meet the needs of the project's participants, NuScale said....

It takes 1 kg of U235 to generate the amount of energy released by 1,000,000 kg of coal

Ergo, 5000 times as much coal has to be dug out of the ground as uranium to generate equivalent power.

No one said uranium did not put our enormous energy, we were talking about the dirtiness of handling it and other energy resources.

I helped drill wells leeching uranium from shallow shale beds in South Texas.  I know the tremendous amount of water that has to be used, and the resultant huge amounts of waste water contaminated that must be disposed of.  It is an extremely 'dirty' process.  Then comes the uranium plant cooling process which uses enormous amounts of water to cool.  And then the handling of spent product.

The entire cycle of usage is what is important.

Not just the end product like the enviro wackos wish you to look at for the renewable 'clean' energy.

Offline thackney

My driveway is made from coal bottom ash.  The roads I drive on use fly ash as part of the concrete mix.

The volume is not the problem.  It is the concentrated radioactivity.  We cannot spread nuclear waste around the public places.

I am in favor of nuclear power.  But pretending coal is not useful is silly.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I doubt anyone reading this message in 2021 will live to see a completely new (i.e., not already-authorized) nuclear plant get approved or constructed in America.

Them days... is over.
Possibly forever.

Certainly for as long as the communists rule here, and continue to use "the green agenda" as a weapon with which to control the population...

Online Smokin Joe

Well, you left out the amount of ore that has to be processed to get that uranium. Mineable concentrations vary from deposit to deposit, from as much as 20% in some Canadian mines to as low as .02% in others. Those tailings can be considered 'waste' as well, along with any overburden or country rock that must be removed.

You move that lb of coal, you have moved a pound of coal. To get a pound of uranium takes a lot more.

But what do I know, I'm just a geologist.

C S Lewis

I wonder if this would be classified by some as being 'dirty' energy?

Truck Carrying Radioactive Uranium on I-95 Crashes, Closing Highway in North Carolina

https://www.breitbart.com/local/2021/03/31/truck-carrying-radioactive-uranium-i-95-crashes-closing-highway-north-carolina/
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 10:19:09 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline Sled Dog

No one said uranium did not put our enormous energy, we were talking about the dirtiness of handling it and other energy resources.

Right.

It's much harder to handle 3000 tons of waste than one.   

It's much harder to clean smoke stack emissions than not having smokestacks at all.

The water used to condense the steam in the feedwater stage of a nuclear power plant is pretty much the same amount of water that would have to be run through the condensers of an equivalent output coal fired plant.   And the water just flushed through and gets warm, especially in coastal installations.

Some more water is used to make up for losses in the steam cycles of the secondary systems, but...should be about the same for both coal and nuclear, because a steam plant is a steam plant and it doesn't care what's heating the kettle.

But, enormous, right?   

There's a reason the US doesn't use more nuclear power.   It's called Rodent-induced false hysteria and profiteering blood-sucking lawyers.   I wouldn't have a problem living near a modern nuclear power plant.   I really wouldn't want to live near a coal fired plant.   That would be my least preferred fossil fuel energy source.

As for the longevity of the nuclear waste, there's always been two easy means of disposal, both highly effective and both freaking out the anti-nuclear Rodents.  You must remember that Rodents are anti-nuclear not for any rational reason, but because they were programmed that way because nuclear power spent fuel processing is where we get plutonium.

Anyway, the two ways of disposing of radioactive waste are thus:
Bury it or drown it.

Put it in a secure cave deep in a mountain....Nevada is 95% (making things up as I go along...) useless desert, and we had a nice mountain the Nevadans were happy to take taxpayer money to prepare...all we need now is an American Senate that will tell the Hotel Union Senators from Nevada to shut up, we're using it.   Be safe for the rest of human civilization, sure.

Or, quite simply, put the junk in well designed corrosion-resistant containers and sink them to the bottom of the Pacific Abyssal Plains.  The environment there is stable, to the tune of not changing for a hundred million years.  Eventually the cans are subducted and vomited out through volcanoes, but only after all the radioactives have achieved isotopic stability.   

Then again, my preferred method in this day and age is to simply put it somewhere safe, but post signs all over the US-Mexico border stating that there is a radioactive waste dump within 100 yards of the border and all persons passing through will die horribly.   Make sure the signs are in spanish.

I helped drill wells leeching uranium from shallow shale beds in South Texas.  I know the tremendous amount of water that has to be used, and the resultant huge amounts of waste water contaminated that must be disposed of.  It is an extremely 'dirty' process.  Then comes the uranium plant cooling process which uses enormous amounts of water to cool.  And then the handling of spent product.

Yeah, nobody would ever think of requiring that the processing water be retained and filtered to extract the radioactives to protect the environment.   They haven't allowed the discharge of radioactive water in decades, not since before I was a raw Nuke.   They even banned the obscene process of diluting the waste to meet the micro-curie/ml requirements.   

The entire cycle of usage is what is important.

Yup.  Coal mining pollutes ground water, too. 

This isn't the 1970s any more.

Not just the end product like the enviro wackos wish you to look at for the renewable 'clean' energy.

Who cares what those religious freaks want, anyway?   Their space laser in the California desert on the way back from Las Vegas is an abomination.   The wind mills chop them up, this thing blinds them and barbeques them on the wing.

I'm just saying nuclear power is better.  We should use the lawyers as self-propelled radiation shielding.

Offline Sled Dog

I wonder if this would be classified by some as being 'dirty' energy?

Truck Carrying Radioactive Uranium on I-95 Crashes, Closing Highway in North Carolina

https://www.breitbart.com/local/2021/03/31/truck-carrying-radioactive-uranium-i-95-crashes-closing-highway-north-carolina/

Is there any other kind of uranium?   Where do they get the non-radioactive uranium?

And, naturally, the U was in sealed containers that didn't leak out and there was no danger of explosion, like there would have been if the truck had been carrying non-radioactive hydrogen or natural gas, right?

I hate the morons in the media

Offline thackney

...It's much harder to handle 3000 tons of waste than one...   

When the 3,000 is inert and the other dangerously radioactive, I do not agree.

...Anyway, the two ways of disposing of radioactive waste are thus:
Bury it or drown it....

I would add reprocessing, like most of the world does.

I'm just saying nuclear power is better.  We should use the lawyers as self-propelled radiation shielding.

I can agree on the lawyers.  Anything that dense would help against radiation.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
It would be better news if the coverage by nuclear power plants was rising.   

What with all the wetbacks the Rodents are inviting in, California needs to get serious about nuclear desalination plants to cover the looming water shortage.   

(I brought my daughters to a visit with my brother in New York a few years ago.  His daughter (15) couldn't figure out how CA could have a drought when the ocean was right there....the education kids get these days.)
Well to tell the truth she wasn't really wrong. If the democrats in California had even an iota of intelligence or common sense instead of a multi billion bullet train to nowhere so Moonbeam could have a legacy the money should  have been spent on desalination plants.

Offline Sled Dog

Well, you left out the amount of ore that has to be processed to get that uranium. Mineable concentrations vary from deposit to deposit, from as much as 20% in some Canadian mines to as low as .02% in others. Those tailings can be considered 'waste' as well, along with any overburden or country rock that must be removed.

You move that lb of coal, you have moved a pound of coal. To get a pound of uranium takes a lot more.

But what do I know, I'm just a geologist.

Or, we could do the math.

You say uranium ores can be from 20% to 0.01% of valued product. 

So mining uranium ore to produce a ton of ore may require between 5 tons to 10,000 tons.   So, sure, if they're mining super-low grade junk to get uranium, they're pulling more junk out of the ground than for coal.

So maybe they shouldn't be mining crap ores.   

That wasn't complicated.

Would any sensible ENERGY program want to pay the added expense of extracting such thin yields from dirt?

No.

That's a weapons program would do because they care damn-all about cost.  That's the thing about uranium, isn't it?  Nobody is making any coal bombs any more.  The last place that was coal-bombed was West Berlin in the 1940's.