Author Topic: More states want to tax drivers by the mile. We dare you.  (Read 469 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
More states want to tax drivers by the mile. We dare you.
« on: March 15, 2021, 03:14:48 pm »
More states want to tax drivers by the mile. We dare you.

Jazz Shaw Posted at 8:44 am on March 15, 2021

We all knew that once the Democrats took over Congress and the White House we’d be hearing about tax increases. That was just a given, and most of them have plans to increase almost everyone’s income taxes. But there’s another tax debate going on at the state level and it involves the maintenance of the nation’s roadways. Two states – Oregon and Utah – have already begun experimenting with a so-called VMT, which stands for “vehicle miles traveled.” That’s where you are charged a few pennies (initially) for every mile you drive each year. This probably sounds like yet another case of bored legislators sitting around and dreaming up new and creative ways to empty your wallet, but there actually is a working theory behind this.

What state lawmakers are fretting over is how they will pay for road maintenance after a significant number of drivers have switched to electric vehicles. Currently, the bulk of that funding comes from gas taxes in most states. But as the share of electric vehicles increases, that tax revenue will go down proportionally. And they still have to find a way to pay for fixing all of the potholes and repaving entire roads. Hence the push for a VMT in many states. (WaPo)

Many [states] have settled on an answer: charging drivers a penny or two for each mile behind the wheel. But while such a system would bring in tax dollars for roads, it also would present a new set of obstacles.

States are leading the way, with Oregon and Utah launching the first programs and several others running pilots to test technology and build public support. The approach has bipartisan support in Washington, and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg has signaled his openness.

But existing programs operate on a small scale, and a national system would mean tracking millions of vehicles. Supporters are pushing for the quick adoption of proposals to maintain funding of the nation’s crumbling infrastructure, while opponents, including environmental advocates, argue the shift is premature at a time when electric vehicles are a fraction of cars on the road. New fees also would slow their adoption, they say.

more
https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-shaw/2021/03/15/states-want-tax-drivers-mile-dare/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: More states want to tax drivers by the mile. We dare you.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 03:51:23 pm »
Remember that Green Police Super Bowl ad from 10 or so years ago?  Not so funny now.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 10:44:48 pm »
Reminds me of being in JR High and the Metal Shop teacher asked me to run the odometer backwards for awhile in another teacher's car.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 04:13:01 pm »
So they want a regressive tax that punishes people who cannot afford to live closer to their places or work?

It be more "equitable" to implement an auto excise tax based upon a percentage a vehicle's value.  That tax would help Tesla and Prius drivers pay their "fair share" to use the same roads as everyone else.  That poor person that has to drive 50 miles to work in a 15 year-old rusted out Toyota Carolla (aka, a beater) to work a humble job would pay less auto excise tax than the limousine liberal that drives an electric Audi or Porsche 10 - 20 miles to work.

The Green New (Screw) Deal is a regressive tax regime that let's the 1% avoid shared sacrifice by purchasing plenary indulgences (carbon credits, carbon offsets) to exempt themselves from the very regulations they want to impose on the 99%.

How do ya like them apples, hippy?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.