Author Topic: Medal of Honor Monday: Army Air Corps 1st Lt. Jack Mathis  (Read 590 times)

rangerrebew

Medal of Honor Monday: Army Air Corps 1st Lt. Jack Mathis
« on: March 10, 2021, 11:54:25 am »
 Medal of Honor Monday: Army Air Corps 1st Lt. Jack Mathis
March 8, 2021 | BY Katie Lange , DOD News

Army Air Corps 1st Lt. Jack Mathis gave his life to make sure one of the biggest bombing campaigns on the Western Front of World War II was successful. He earned the Medal of Honor for his actions; however, his story really can't be told without including his older brother, Mark, who served at the same time and whose wartime journey is inextricably linked.

Jack was born Sept. 25, 1921, in Sterling City, Texas, to parents Rhude Mark and Avis. He had two brothers; Mark, who was older, and younger brother Harold.

Jack graduated from San Angelo High School. According to the book, "Assignment to Hell," he enrolled in San Angelo Business College before deciding to enlist in the Army on June 12, 1940. After serving for a few months at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, Jack learned that Mark, who had also enlisted, had transferred to the Army Air Corps. Jack followed suit, and they both began training as bombardiers in the same unit.

https://www.defense.gov/Explore/Features/Story/Article/2523391/medal-of-honor-monday-army-air-corps-1st-lt-jack-mathis/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Medal of Honor Monday: Army Air Corps 1st Lt. Jack Mathis
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 02:30:32 pm »
 I don't care WHAT your standards for courage are,it took some SERIOUS stones to fly those WW-2 bombing missions in huge aluminum targets that weren't even allowed to swerve to avoid AA fire.

No thank you! Give me a nice,safe job in the infantry,any time over flying in bombers. 

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 02:50:24 pm »
I don't care WHAT your standards for courage are,it took some SERIOUS stones to fly those WW-2 bombing missions in huge aluminum targets that weren't even allowed to swerve to avoid AA fire.

No thank you! Give me a nice,safe job in the infantry,any time over flying in bombers.

I have a copy of a part of one of those WWII bomber pilot's personal diary @sneakypete

I'm with you! 

My long-time former business partner (he passed away some years ago) flew 25 missions over Germany as a pilot and the stories he told were more than enough to convince me that I wanted NO part of that.

Another friend spent some time flying cargo from India over the hump into China. That was no cakewalk either.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 02:58:18 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 05:11:43 pm »
I have a copy of a part of one of those WWII bomber pilot's personal diary @sneakypete

I'm with you! 

My long-time former business partner (he passed away some years ago) flew 25 missions over Germany as a pilot and the stories he told were more than enough to convince me that I wanted NO part of that.

Another friend spent some time flying cargo from India over the hump into China. That was no cakewalk either.

@Bigun

A long time ago,in a different life,I once knew one of the Americans on the ground in China that he was flying cargo to. He was there as an American "observer" and conduit supervisor for deliveries. If he didn't speak on the radio,the airplanes didn't land or drop their cargo. He was an observer that was monitoring the activity and success of the Chinese Army against the Japanese Army. Talk about a brutal war!

VERY smart,VERY brave guy. IIRC,he was also in Laos wearing civilian clothes in the late 50's.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 05:16:34 pm »
@Bigun

A long time ago,in a different life,I once knew one of the Americans on the ground in China that he was flying cargo to. He was there as an American "observer" and conduit supervisor for deliveries. If he didn't speak on the radio,the airplanes didn't land or drop their cargo. He was an observer that was monitoring the activity and success of the Chinese Army against the Japanese Army. Talk about a brutal war!

VERY smart,VERY brave guy. IIRC,he was also in Laos wearing civilian clothes in the late 50's.

I'm pretty sure I know who you are talking about but cannot recall the name at present for the life of me.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien