Author Topic: The US Army's New Goggles Let Troops See Through Solid Walls  (Read 665 times)

rangerrebew

The US Army's New Goggles Let Troops See Through Solid Walls
« on: March 09, 2021, 01:07:02 pm »
The US Army's New Goggles Let Troops See Through Solid Walls

In combat, situational awareness is key to survival.

By  Brad Bergan
Mar 08, 2021

The United States Army has new goggles capable of letting soldiers see through walls of combat vehicles — which enables infantry troops to greatly enhance their situational awareness, according to a press release shared on the Defense Visual Information Distribution Service.

And, in combat, situational awareness is key to survival.
Army's new goggles let troops see through solid walls

The U.S. Army is developing Integrated Augmented Vision System (IAVS) goggles for close-combat forces — which involve both mounted and dismounted troops, namely, infantry.

This capability aims to send tens of thousands of new goggles into the field, which can also enable soldiers to check around corners, see in the dark, and even display digital maps and other tactical data on the goggles' lenses.

https://interestingengineering.com/us-army-goggles-troops-see-through-solid-walls

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: The US Army's New Goggles Let Troops See Through Solid Walls
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 05:34:06 pm »
A voyeurs dream come true. These things will disappear almost instantly as people steal them to take home. Even worse,police departments all over the country will demand they get them,too.

What could POSSIBLY go wrong,there?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 05:34:54 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

BassWrangler

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 08:58:23 pm »
A voyeurs dream come true. These things will disappear almost instantly as people steal them to take home. Even worse,police departments all over the country will demand they get them,too.

What could POSSIBLY go wrong,there?

Just thinking about how much a pair of Gen 4 NVG cost, I can't imagine how much these things will be.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 09:12:24 pm »

BassWrangler

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 09:13:16 pm »

LOL, I remember the ads for these in the back of magazines.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 01:04:11 am »
LOL, I remember the ads for these in the back of magazines.

@BassWrangler

I do too,but even as a horny kid there was no way I was going to waste a dollar on a scam.

BassWrangler

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 01:11:05 am »
@BassWrangler

I do too,but even as a horny kid there was no way I was going to waste a dollar on a scam.

Yeah, same here, but I always wondered what they'd send.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 11:28:53 am »
Not quite...

from the article:

Since the new goggles use feeds from omnidirectional cameras positioned on the outside of armored vehicles, they allow a squad of six soldiers protected inside a Bradley or Stryker infantry vehicle to "see" through the walls of the vehicle — achieving a clear picture of the scene without risking life and limb.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 11:37:00 am »
Without risking life or limb?  The mere fact they would need to protect themselves with the goggles means they are already risking life and limb.  Besides, what are the troops going to do, hide in a humvee until the bad guys (and/or gals) go away? *****rollingeyes*****

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 12:45:52 pm »
Not quite...

from the article:

@Smokin Joe

Yeah,now THAT makes sense.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 12:56:22 pm »
Without risking life or limb?  The mere fact they would need to protect themselves with the goggles means they are already risking life and limb.  Besides, what are the troops going to do, hide in a humvee until the bad guys (and/or gals) go away? *****rollingeyes*****

@rangerrebew

Well,not knowing anything about armor due to making a dedicated effort to stay as far away from  it as possible while in the army,I am GUESSING those same external cameras will be linked to the gun sights.

I am also guessing that the sights would be infrared, greatly increasing crew surviveability during night attacks.

On the negative side,a few handfuls of mud over the cameras by nearby enemy soldiers or even gunfire would leave the crews blind and helpless.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 12:59:24 pm by sneakypete »

BassWrangler

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 04:17:48 pm »
Not quite...

from the article:

Ahh, ok - now that makes more sense. I guess it pays to read the actual article.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 08:05:36 pm »
Not quite...

from the article:
That's what I was thinking it was, first thing that came to mind were the ?Chevy commercials showing how their system would give you a view excluding the trailer that was being towed.

rangerrebew

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 11:03:16 am »
@sneakypete

Another possible use would be to help officers see more clearly when they have their heads up their *sses by allowing them to see what is really outside their excretory system. :silly:

BassWrangler

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 07:46:49 pm »
@sneakypete

Another possible use would be to help officers see more clearly when they have their heads up their *sses by allowing them to see what is really outside their excretory system. :silly:

Only if their ass is large enough to accommodate the helmet.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2021, 09:13:15 pm »
I dunno.. Seems to me I bought a set of those out of the back of a comic book back in the day...

They did not work as advertised.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2021, 09:19:11 pm »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-