Author Topic: GOP dilemma — how to keep Trumpers yet regain anti-Trumpers  (Read 27414 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP dilemma — how to keep Trumpers yet regain anti-Trumpers
by W. James Antle III, Politics Editor |
 | March 07, 2021 07:00 AM

Republicans have two tasks ahead of them in next year’s midterm elections: to hold on to the working-class voters former President Donald Trump attracted to the party while also trying to win back some of the college-educated suburbanites he repelled.

Doing both simultaneously may be easier said than done. The suburbs have sunk Republicans in consecutive national elections dating back to 2018. But the very qualities that made Trump’s party toxic with those voters also enabled it to be competitive in the Rust Belt, which remained close even with President Biden sitting atop the Democratic ticket in place of Hillary Clinton.

Even in defeat, Republicans eyed the basic contours of a multiracial working-class coalition that could help them win in the future and Democrats saw worrying signs that the “Rainbow Coalition” they had been pining for since the days of Jesse Jackson was fraying.

“White voters as a whole trended toward the Democratic Party, and nonwhite voters trended away from us,” operative and Obama campaign veteran David Shor told New York.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/politics/trump-republicans-working-class-suburbs-conundrum-win-back
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Killer Clouds

Re: GOP dilemma — how to keep Trumpers yet regain anti-Trumpers
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 07:14:42 pm »
it won't matter who votes for who if the voting is rigged.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 08:43:24 pm »
What matters is who counts the votes,as was proven when the Dims stole the last election away from Trump.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 08:50:29 pm »
If someone's still an anti-Trump or Never-Trump ... forget 'em.  They're too deep in the hate quicksand so no amount of trying to pull them free will be successful.

Wish them health and happiness and move on.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 09:58:17 pm »
NON-WHITE VOTERS TRENDED AWAY,  Lies, damn lies, this guy must be a statistician.  Minorities voted for Trump in record breaking numbers.  Voter fraud gave Biden the election, only political stooges don't realize that.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

BassWrangler

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 10:23:14 pm »
Easy. Run someone other than Trump. Hoping like hell he isn't the candidate in 2024.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 10:26:14 pm »
How about focusing on the America First agenda and not the personalities?

Duh

This assumes of course the NTers give more of a crap about the future of this nation than do the rats.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 10:29:47 pm »
Easy. Run someone other than Trump. Hoping like hell he isn't the candidate in 2024.

Four years from now is a long ways off.  Think amnesty and citizenship for tens of millions of illegals, new election laws, stacked liberal courts, and a changed electoral process, then please explain to me how any GOP candidate has a snowball's chance in hell of winning in 2024.   

As for Trump; he'll be 78 ...   I think he'll call it quits politically long before then.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 11:16:20 pm »

Easy. If Trump runs, vote for him. Hoping like hell the NeverTrumpers don't betray conservatism AGAIN by not voting...voting for 3rd party nitwits with no chance...or god forbid, voting for Biden again. But if they do, its their mess...and the continued loss of our freedoms is their fault. No ifs...no ands...no buts....you people brought us Biden, Harris, Pelosi and the Commie Brigade in power. I'm rather hoping you don't do it again...but expecting the same self centered stupidity to, once again, override your common sense.

Call me a pessimist.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 11:17:20 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 11:36:37 pm »
Easy. If Trump runs, vote for him. Hoping like hell the NeverTrumpers don't betray conservatism AGAIN by not voting...voting for 3rd party nitwits with no chance...or god forbid, voting for Biden again. But if they do, its their mess...and the continued loss of our freedoms is their fault. No ifs...no ands...no buts....you people brought us Biden, Harris, Pelosi and the Commie Brigade in power. I'm rather hoping you don't do it again...but expecting the same self centered stupidity to, once again, override your common sense.

Call me a pessimist.

Trump's loss was the handiwork of the liberal leftists stealing the election.

Trying to figure out why people still think Trump will run at age  78.

Really trying to understand the logic in people thinking that the DEMS won't continue to steal elections, change voting laws, etc.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 11:49:05 pm »
"GOP dilemma — how to keep Trumpers yet regain anti-Trumpers"

Let the ne'erTrumpers stew in their own juices for a while.
In time, if they regain their senses, they'll come back on their own.
If they don't come to their senses, it won't make any difference anyway...

BassWrangler

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 11:50:22 pm »
Trump's loss was the handiwork of the liberal leftists stealing the election.

Trying to figure out why people still think Trump will run at age  78.

Really trying to understand the logic in people thinking that the DEMS won't continue to steal elections, change voting laws, etc.

Because Trump keeps dropping hints that he may run. If he's not running, he should come out and say it. And while he's at it, if he really cares about healing the damage, he'd FIRST be working quietly behind the scenes to identify a viable replacement candidate for Murkowski, and THEN badmouthing her. Instead what he'll do is just hand the Democrats another Senate seat.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 11:57:57 pm »
Trump's loss was the handiwork of the liberal leftists stealing the election. It was ALSO that.

Trying to figure out why people still think Trump will run at age  78. He ain't your standard 78 year old...man is relentlessly energetic.

Really trying to understand the logic in people thinking that the DEMS won't continue to steal elections, change voting laws, etc. Nothing to understand really...we ALL know they will try but we will also try to combat/prevent that.

I agree with all that you're saying, liberty, but we still have to do all we can to win in 22 and 24...yes...its uphill, into the wind, and they are cheating. But nonetheless we fight on.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2021, 11:59:51 pm »
Because Trump keeps dropping hints that he may run. If he's not running, he should come out and say it. And while he's at it, if he really cares about healing the damage, he'd FIRST be working quietly behind the scenes to identify a viable replacement candidate for Murkowski, and THEN badmouthing her. Instead what he'll do is just hand the Democrats another Senate seat.

He needs to badmouth every GOP Quisling he can...especially Murkowski and Cheney...suitable candidates are available in both races. And Trump will support whoever that ends up being...its not time to back a horse just yet, let's wait and see what emerges.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 12:01:41 am »

McConnell, who has made clear how he feels about Trump, has already said the GOPe will throw its support behind Murkowski so how do you propose Trump "quietly work behind the scenes" to unseat Murkowski?

I realize old habits are hard to break but maybe you should be directing fire at Mr Charisma the minority leader for risking Murkowski's senate seat.

BassWrangler

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 12:43:09 am »
McConnell, who has made clear how he feels about Trump, has already said the GOPe will throw its support behind Murkowski so how do you propose Trump "quietly work behind the scenes" to unseat Murkowski?

I realize old habits are hard to break but maybe you should be directing fire at Mr Charisma the minority leader for risking Murkowski's senate seat.

A leader could do that. Trump can't, because he's not an effective leader. He has a number of positive qualities, but effective leadership isn't one of them.

I've got lots of gripes with McConnell. But the fact of the matter is that Trump was in charge when the current disaster unfolded - you know, the one that handed Dems control of House, Senate, and Presidency? If he can't put his own ego aside and work on fixing the mess he created, he should step aside.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 12:51:04 am »

Call me a pessimist.

Common sense says don't vote for the guy that got nothing done and cost twenty trillion dollars.
Jussayin.

So yeah, he will never have my vote - Because what he has done is irreparable. I certainly won't vote to have him do it sommore.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2021, 12:51:46 am »
A leader could do that. Trump can't, because he's not an effective leader. He has a number of positive qualities, but effective leadership isn't one of them.

I've got lots of gripes with McConnell. But the fact of the matter is that Trump was in charge when the current disaster unfolded - you know, the one that handed Dems control of House, Senate, and Presidency? If he can't put his own ego aside and work on fixing the mess he created, he should step aside.
I cannot agree with your overly simplistic view of the way things played out late last year. It ignores too many facts in evidence and frankly is a bit too self serving.

BassWrangler

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2021, 12:57:08 am »
I cannot agree with your overly simplistic view of the way things played out late last year. It ignores too many facts in evidence and frankly is a bit too self serving.

Why wasn't the Trump Admin on top of the vote fraud ahead of the election? The fact is, Trump was reactive rather than proactive to literally every problem. And what he did in Georgia, which suppressed GOP voters in the run-off, is simply unforgivable. That one selfish act might by itself be the end of our country.

I commend his sticking with his campaign promises, and his clear love for the country, but in every other way his administration was a complete failure. His only legacy is that he handed the country over to America's enemies.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2021, 12:57:21 am »
Easy. If Trump runs, vote for him. Hoping like hell the NeverTrumpers don't betray conservatism AGAIN

And by the way, voting *FOR* Tumpy is betraying Conservatism, not the other way around.
Conservatism is about supporting ALL the unmovable principles of ALL the factions.

It is undeniable that Tumpy's movement does not give a sh*t about fiscal conservatism or libertarianism... Simply by voting again for one who grievously threw those factions right under the bus.

So don't call what you do 'conservatism'.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2021, 12:57:38 am »

The way things stand, there's no way that the GOP is going to win future seats -- GOPe may hold on to a seat or two, but other then that the GOP is DOA. 

IMHO  President Donald J. Trump was a good leader and a good President.  His time is over. Time for 75 million to figure out how to insert a new party/gov't. period.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2021, 01:01:34 am »
Because Trump keeps dropping hints that he may run. If he's not running, he should come out and say it.

POTUS45 will make his announcement when the time is right.  You'd be so much more content @BassWrangler if you'd stop trying to tell this man what to do and not do.   So, relax.  He's got years to take to the cameras on this; years.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2021, 01:01:54 am »
I commend his sticking with his campaign promises, and his clear love for the country, but in every other way his administration was a complete failure.
Funny. Do you not see how contradictory this statement is?

I've learned to not bother discussing politics with those who's perspective is so diametrically opposite my own. there's absolutely no common ground, its a total waste of time. Suffice it to say I do not see the past four years the way you do.

BassWrangler

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2021, 01:05:29 am »
The way things stand, there's no way that the GOP is going to win future seats -- GOPe may hold on to a seat or two, but other then that the GOP is DOA. 

IMHO  President Donald J. Trump was a good leader and a good President.  His time is over. Time for 75 million to figure out how to insert a new party/gov't. period.

I agree (as usual) with most of what you say. But I don't think Trump was a good president. I mean he tried, but if you look at what lasting accomplishments he has, there's not much there. It's sad, and you can certainly say much of it wasn't his fault, but in the end the buck stops with the President. He spent his entire Admin on the defensive. Handed the Dems constant ammo on Twitter. Committed hundreds of unforced errors. Threw staff under the bus constantly, leading to a situation where he couldn't find good people willing to work for him.

No question in my mind that the man is a patriot, a good motivational speaker, an entertaining fellow, and that he made a huge sacrifice by running. But he just wasn't very effective as a President, and left things in a place where literally every positive achievement will be undone by the Dems in the first 90 days of Biden's term.

BassWrangler

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2021, 01:07:04 am »
POTUS45 will make his announcement when the time is right.  You'd be so much more content @BassWrangler if you'd stop trying to tell this man what to do and not do.   So, relax.  He's got years to take to the cameras on this; years.

I'm not going to be relaxed over the next few years while the Democrats destroy the country.