Author Topic: UN chief calls to cancel all planned coal projects to stop “deadly addiction” to fossil fuel  (Read 260 times)

rangerrebew

UN chief calls to cancel all planned coal projects to stop “deadly addiction” to fossil fuel

03/05/2021 / By Ramon Tomey

The head of the United Nations has called to cancel all planned coal projects worldwide. U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres exhorted nations to scrap their projects that use coal in order to end the “deadly addiction” to this fossil fuel. He emphasized that phasing out coal from the electricity sector is the “single most important” step to tackle the climate crisis.

Guterres said on March 2: “Today, I am calling on all governments, private companies and local authorities to take three steps. First, cancel all global coal projects in the pipeline and end the deadly addiction to coal. Second, end the international financing of coal plants. [And] third, jump-start a global effort to finally organize a just transition [for coal industry workers] – going plant by plant if necessary.”

Gutierres outlined the three steps at the commencement of a Powering Past Coal Alliance (PPCA) virtual summit. Established by the U.K. and Canada in 2017, PPCA is a group of governments and businesses committed to ending the use of coal for power generation. However, both founding countries have faced issues regarding coal mines in their respective jurisdictions.

https://www.climate.news/2021-03-05-un-chief-stop-coal-projects-deadly-addiction.html

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres

@rangerrebew

You  really  have to wonder what color the sky is on that dipstick's home planet,don't you?

WHY is it that I suspect he was a trust fund child that has never worked an actual day in his life?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

rangerrebew

Are you suggesting trying to force one world government of all the people isn't work? :whistle:  As for the color of the sky on his home planet, I would think red would be correct.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 10:23:48 am by rangerrebew »