Author Topic: Senate Democrats Drop Minimum Wage Hike in Stimulus Bill  (Read 249 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate Democrats Drop Minimum Wage Hike in Stimulus Bill
« on: March 02, 2021, 01:06:32 am »
Senate Democrats Drop Minimum Wage Hike in Stimulus Bill

Breitbart News 1 Mar 2021

Democrats’ efforts to include a minimum wage increase in their $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief bill seemed all but dead Monday as Senate leaders prepared to begin debate on their own version of the House-passed aid package.

Top Democrats have abandoned a potential amendment threatening tax increases on big companies that don’t boost workers’ pay to certain levels, Senate aides said. Four days after the chamber’s parliamentarian said Senate rules forbid the inclusion of a straight-out minimum wage increase in the relief measure, Democrats seemed to have exhausted their most realistic options for quickly salvaging the pay hike.

“At this moment, we may not have path, but I hope we can find one” for pushing the federal pay floor to $15 an hour, said No. 2 Senate Democratic leader Richard Durbin of Illinois.

Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV) has said he would support for a more moderate wage increase, from the current $7.25 to $11 an hour, but that $15 would be unworkable for rural states.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office said that a phase-in of a $15 minimum wage by 2025 would lift some 900,000 people from poverty but kill 1.4 million jobs.
Leftwing Democrats rejected the notion of compromise on the hike.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/news/senate-democrats-consider-changes-to-house-virus-relief-bill/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

Re: Senate Democrats Drop Minimum Wage Hike in Stimulus Bill
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 01:52:55 am »
The $15 minimum wage is an example of people wanting to appear compassionate at someone else's expense
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Senate Democrats Drop Minimum Wage Hike in Stimulus Bill
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 04:12:00 am »
Do that math....
a $15 minimum wage by 2025 would lift some 900,000 people from poverty but kill 1.4 million jobs

That only leaves a half million new jobless folks.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis