Author Topic: Supreme Court faces landmark challenge on voting rights  (Read 705 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Supreme Court faces landmark challenge on voting rights
« on: March 02, 2021, 12:58:04 am »
By John Kruzel - 03/01/21 06:22 PM EST

The Supreme Court will hear arguments on Tuesday over a set of Arizona voting restrictions alleged to be racially discriminatory in a dispute that could set the most important voting rights precedent in nearly a decade.

A potentially landmark ruling in the coming months may determine whether a suite of voting curbs working their way through GOP state legislatures across the country will survive legal scrutiny before the pivotal 2022 midterms and the next race for the White House.

For the 6-3 conservative-majority court, the case marks a first chance to define the sweep of a key provision of the Voting Rights Act (VRA). That provision, Section 2, makes it illegal to enact laws that place an unequal burden on the franchise of racial minorities.

Civil rights groups say it’s crucial that the justices use the Arizona case to give a robust reading to Section 2 in light of a past Supreme Court ruling that narrowed safeguards for minority voters.

“It is imperative that this Court continue to construe Section 2 expansively, as Congress intended,” the NAACP Legal Defense Fund wrote in an amicus brief.

Such a ruling, the group said, is the only way to fulfill the law’s “original purpose of ridding the political process of racial discrimination.”

more
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/541107-supreme-court-faces-landmark-challenge-on-voting-rights
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Supreme Court faces landmark challenge on voting rights
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 04:20:02 am »
By John Kruzel - 03/01/21 06:22 PM EST

For the 6-3 conservative-majority court...

Lost me right there. Seven cowards and two justices.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 02:49:47 pm »
Lost me right there. Seven cowards and two justices.

Yep!  I didn't even bother reading the article.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 03:12:22 pm »
They will not do the right thing.  Bank on it.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 05:10:42 pm »
Outside of very broad Constitutional constraints...no racial discrimination, females get to interfere in elections, children 18 years old can vote...the courts don't have a Constitutional leg to stand on.

The Constitution grants the state LEGISLATURES, and only the state legislatures, the power to decide how the state will select their presidential electors, and that must mean the states have sole authority over their elections.

Oh, and the states must have a republican form of government, which neither the United States nor California has any more.

The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 05:17:12 pm »
So, let's see...

...The Ninth Circus Court of Rotten Apples (Green Acres...) tossed out Arizona's rule that ballots cast at the wrong precinct be discarded in their entirety....the Rodents from the Ninth Circus of Hell want to retain the potential for voter fraud on the national level...

...and they want to preserve ballot harvesting, a process so rife with fraud that the Senate elections from AZ in the last two cycles are most distinctly redolent of five-day old bottom feeding fish.

The bottom line on the Ninth Court's ruling?   That minorities are not as smart as white people can thus find it more difficult to figure out AZ's voting rules, or something.  More condescension and pandering from the Rodents to keep their ability to defraud elections intact.

America will only be stepping onto the road to healing when the minorities start getting angry at how the Rodents insult them.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 05:19:07 pm by Sled Dog »
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 05:24:08 pm »

America will only be stepping onto the road to healing when the minorities start getting angry at how the Rodents insult them.
Which will never happen to a big enough extent to make a difference because the rats' implied insults are always gaily decorated with overt attacks on the white man.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 05:25:36 pm by skeeter »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 01:11:56 am »
Which will never happen to a big enough extent to make a difference because the rats' implied insults are always gaily decorated with overt attacks on the white man.
That "rich white man" thingy has been going on for a long time. Three decades ago, I was having coffee with a lady who was ranting about the "rich white man", the root of the "white privilege"/"social justice"/1% and other rants against whites today. I finally asked her "Just who in the F*** is this rich white man anyway? I'm white and I'm for d@mned sure not rich, and most white people I know are nowhere close." That hauled her rhetoric up short. Aside from her being native (not a deal breaker, by any means, my wife is Chippewa, and never spouted any of that), the only place I can think of her being fed a lot of that stuff was at her work in Social Services or in the courses she took to get the job. Needless to say, that was our last date... :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis