Author Topic: Former SolarWinds CEO Blames Intern for Setting Password ‘solarwinds123’  (Read 185 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Former SolarWinds CEO Blames Intern for Setting Password ‘solarwinds123’

Lucas Nolan 1 Mar 2021

Texas-based software company SolarWinds was the victim of a major hack recently that affected multiple government agencies and corporate clients. In a hearing before the House Oversight and Homeland Security Committees, the company’s former CEO blamed an intern that changed a company password to “solarwinds123.”

Gizmodo reports that there has been a new development in the SolarWinds hacking saga, with the company’s former CEO Kevin Thompson blaming the hack partly on a company intern and an insecure server.

In a joint hearing on Friday, Thompson told representatives from the House Oversight and Homeland Security Committees that one SolarWinds server was protected by a very simple password: “solarwinds123.”

Thompson alleged that this was “related to a mistake an intern made, and they violated our password policies.” Thompson further explained that the intern posted the password on their own private GitHub account. “As soon as it was identified and brought to the attention of my security team, they took that down,” Thompson said.

The password issue dates back to at least 2018 although testimony provided by SolarWinds on Friday appears to indicate that it could go back even further. Security researcher Vinoth Kumar told Reuters that he warned SolarWinds that anyone could access its update server using the “solarwinds123” password in December. According to CNN, the password was accessible online since at least June 2018.

However, at the hearing, SolarWinds’ current CEO, Sudhakar Ramakrishna, told lawmakers that the password was used on one of the intern’s servers in 2017.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2021/03/01/former-solarwinds-ceo-blames-intern-for-setting-password-solarwinds123/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PeteS in CA

Holy bleep! I cannot remember how many decades ago I knew not to use simple & obvious passwords!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline thackney

Holy bleep! I cannot remember how many decades ago I knew not to use simple & obvious passwords!

And did you understand not to give the intern the ability to change the company password?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
And did you understand not to give the intern the ability to change the company password?

This was supposedly on "her" server, so it was probably not company-wide (but allowed outsiders to get to more important servers).  I'm surprised the company did not have safeguards against that.  My company's security software would not allow users to pick easy passwords, or reuse old ones, and forced a change every 90 days.

Regardless, it could have been an insanely complicated password and it would have still granted admittance to hackers because she posted the password on an unsecured site.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: