Author Topic: We may never learn the truth about the Texas blackout  (Read 266 times)

rangerrebew

We may never learn the truth about the Texas blackout
« on: March 01, 2021, 05:08:05 pm »

We may never learn the truth about the Texas blackout
By David Wojick |February 28th, 2021|Energy|35 Comments

The reasons for the grid collapse are now a matter of intense debate. In the absence of detailed data the debate is mostly over general statistics, which do not establish causality.

For example:

Frozen wind turbines caused it.

A gas shortage caused it.

The gas shortage was caused by electrification of the pipelines.

Poor planning caused it.

Unpredictable need for electricity caused it.

ERCOT isolation caused it.

Climate change caused it.

It was an Act of God.

(Okay I have not heard that one yet. Wait for the liability issues.)

https://www.cfact.org/2021/02/28/we-may-never-learn-the-truth-about-the-texas-blackout/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=we-may-never-learn-the-truth-about-the-texas-blackout

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: We may never learn the truth about the Texas blackout
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 06:12:15 pm »
FERC Rejects Energy Secretary Rick Perry’s Coal and Nuclear Energy Market Bailout Plan

This article (linked in the source article) explains a very large part of the problem IMHO.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 06:25:27 pm »
@rangerrebew

When I heard about the coming weather, I knew Texas was in trouble.
I have lived in Texas all my life except for one year in a county west of St. Louis, MO.  That is far enough north that utilities when built are prepared to withstand extreme cold weather for a long period of time.  When winter came, cars, including our cars, had to put on snow tires.  Water lines taking water to houses, did not break; power stayed on. 

One time, I went to a shopping mall by myself, not a problem, right?  Wrong.  While I was in the mall, an ice storm came.  I went to my car to find the entire windshield was covered with ice and the roads were the same - covered with ice.  I would not have made it home if I had not had snow tires.  I drove slowly just like the rest of the cars.  That was the end of my driving alone there in winter. 

My husband had a son who was a senior at a high school.  At night, he had a job working on a computer floor for an insurance company - it was in St. Louis.  He had snow tires on his car, but it slid off the road and crashed.  That was before cars had seat belts.  His head hit something and he had to go to a dentist due to losing some teeth.

Back to Texas:  Texas is south, not north, not Missouri and north of there.
I prepared the house to get through days I knew we would be without power and water.  Utilities here were not built to be prepared for 5 degrees or 0 degrees or -0 degrees for days, so power and water when away - it all froze due to those temps. for 4-5-6 days.

Now, it seems every group is being blamed for the outage of power and water.  When everyone is finished blaming others, retrofit the lines of both power and water at their source so they do not freeze at such temperatures.

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 07:41:10 pm »
   I hope Gov. Abbott is strong enough to withstand the onslaught of what is to become a $hitstorm.  Texans will demand a head or two to roll. 
   Is ERCOT just another ENRON?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 08:07:17 pm »
   I hope Gov. Abbott is strong enough to withstand the onslaught of what is to become a $hitstorm.  Texans will demand a head or two to roll. 

Yep, far easier to assign blame than fix the problem.  And the can goes down the road....

Is ERCOT just another ENRON?

Not by a long shot.  Most of the problems people are claiming the fault of ERCOT is not their responsibility or under their authority.

And I had a lot of work with Enron.  They were my client on many projects.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 11:50:13 pm »
No, we probably never well.

We can't even get the FBI to tell us about what happened during the Las Vegas shooting.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.