Author Topic: Who will tell the greens there is no battery fairy?  (Read 360 times)

rangerrebew

Who will tell the greens there is no battery fairy?
« on: February 28, 2021, 01:14:01 pm »

Who will tell the greens there is no battery fairy?

02/24/2021 / By News Editors

For the longest while I have been asking, “Where do environmentalists and Democrats think all these batteries for our oil-free transportation fleet are going to come from?” It seems they think there is a Battery Fairy out there somewhere who will magically supply the ginormous battery capacity, and additional supply of electricity to charge them, in order to deliver us to our blessed fossil-fuel-free future.

So kudos to Wired magazine on “The Spiraling Environmental Cost of our Lithium Battery Addiction,” which reminds us that there are, you know, tradeoffs between various kinds of energy systems we might use:

https://www.environ.news/2021-02-24-tell-the-greens-theres-no-batter-fairy.html

Online Lando Lincoln

Re: Who will tell the greens there is no battery fairy?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 03:00:27 pm »
They are not interested in seeing how their sausage is made.  As long as it feeds their appetite for signaling their virtue and intellect, they are satisfied. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 03:09:09 pm »
Lots of good info in the linked "Wired" article:

...In a recent paper in the journal Nature, Yushin and his co-authors argued that new battery technology needs to be developed that uses more common, and environmentally friendly materials to make batteries. Researchers are working on new battery chemistries that replace cobalt and lithium with more common and less toxic materials.

But, if new batteries are less energy dense or more expensive than lithium, they could end up having a negative effect on the environment overall. “Assessing and reducing the environmental cost is a more complex issue than it initially appears,” says Valimaki. “For example, a less durable, yet more sustainable device could entail a larger carbon footprint once your factor in transportation and the extra packaging required.”...

The spiralling environmental cost of our lithium battery addiction
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lithium-batteries-environment-impact?fbclid=IwAR2xqU3xKobB0E8SrU99RyB8JPYFaHUYttjGq-Ww0I8sYUut08BcWdRH5N8
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 04:13:40 pm »
If there's only one thing the eco-fascists refuse to do, that's letting reality intrude on their wet dreams.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 06:01:53 pm »
Wanna REALLY scare them?

Tell them there is going to be a shortage of the AAA batteries they use to power their "personal devices".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 07:32:02 pm »
Wanna REALLY scare them?

Tell them there is going to be a shortage of the AAA batteries they use to power their "personal devices".

Indeed.  I buy those suckers by the 60-pack.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 01:16:08 am »
[/qu

@Cyber Liberty

You either misunderstood my reference to "personal devices",or you have a VERY active "home life".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 02:03:09 pm »
[/qu

@Cyber Liberty

You either misunderstood my reference to "personal devices",or you have a VERY active "home life".

:happyhappy:

One of them thar.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 02:04:01 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 02:45:35 pm »
Wanna REALLY scare them?

AOC's doesn't use AAA's.

DieHard and a pull starter.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 11:52:17 pm »
AOC's doesn't use AAA's.

DieHard and a pull starter.

I think you might want to read the thread about why "we'll never learn the truth about the Texas power shortage...."
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.