Author Topic: Bill would protect medical marijuana recipients' anonymity ... and Second Amendment rights  (Read 530 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Missourian  By Grace Zokovitch Feb 24, 2021

Representative Nick Schroer, R-O’Fallon, answers a question about House Bill 501 at a Downsizing State Government Committee hearing on Wednesday at the Capitol in Jefferson City. The bill would criminalize the disclosure of medical marijunana patients’ information to the federal government. Testimony surrounding the bill put this concern in the arena of gun rights. “I just want to make sure that we’re protecting our Second Amendment rights and law abiding citizens who may have medical marijuana, but then they also have a weapon in their house to defend their family when necessary,” Schroer said during his testimony.

As medical marijuana spreads in the state, the Missouri House of Representatives is considering how best to legislate ways to protect those who utilize the drug.

On Wednesday, the House Downsizing State Government Committee held a public hearing on a bill that would keep patient names and other personal details from the federal government and other unauthorized third parties. The bill, HB 501, would bar any state agencies from sharing information about patients who have applied for or obtained a medical marijuana license.

The concern, according to bill sponsor Rep. Nick Schroer, R-O’Fallon, is largely that the federal government still classifies marijuana as a Schedule 1 drug, and possession is illegal according to federal law.

These laws also prohibit users of controlled substances from owning firearms, which was a particular focus of Schroer and the committee.

More: https://www.columbiamissourian.com/news/state_news/bill-would-protect-medical-marijuana-recipients-anonymity---and-second-amendment-rights/article_a4114f50-76c9-11eb-a7d9-178a703cf798.html

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Marijuana should be no more regulated that alcohol...minimally at worst.

The punishments for operating machinery while high on marijuana should be no less severe than the penalties for alcohol.

People who drink ...but don't commit felonies...are not deprived of their Second Amendment freedoms.

Nor should people doing marijuana.

It's time for the US to grow up regarding drug use.

1) Take all the poison you want, your body, your choice.  You even get to play the super-mature person by paying your own medical bills.

2) Operate machinery while on those drugs and thus present a existential threat to others, the hammer comes down.

Society would be so much better that way.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Marijuana should be no more regulated that alcohol...minimally at worst.

The punishments for operating machinery while high on marijuana should be no less severe than the penalties for alcohol.

People who drink ...but don't commit felonies...are not deprived of their Second Amendment freedoms.

Nor should people doing marijuana.

It's time for the US to grow up regarding drug use.

1) Take all the poison you want, your body, your choice.  You even get to play the super-mature person by paying your own medical bills.

2) Operate machinery while on those drugs and thus present a existential threat to others, the hammer comes down.

Society would be so much better that way.

Used to be that way.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley