Author Topic: Look at these insane pictures and videos of Texas Big Freeze  (Read 412 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Look at these insane pictures and videos of Texas Big Freeze
« on: February 19, 2021, 11:45:44 pm »
Strange Sounds -Feb 19, 2021

https://strangesounds.org/2021/02/insane-pictures-and-videos-of-texas-big-freeze.html

Texas is currently experiencing some of the coldest weather it has seen in decades and the pictures coming out from the state show how bad things are. The state, the people, and the infrastructure just aren’t set up for it.

please appreciate this photo of my dad standing on top of our frozen pool in dallas, measuring the thickness of the ice with a tape measure
 #DallasWeather #dfw

Offline libertybele

Re: Look at these insane pictures and videos of Texas Big Freeze
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 12:13:31 am »
Wow!  How dare Cruz take off at a time like this.  He could have gone around with a bunch of blow torches and done some heavy duty defrosting. *****rollingeyes***** 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 12:22:03 am »
Wow!  How dare Cruz take off at a time like this.  He could have gone around with a bunch of blow torches and done some heavy duty defrosting. *****rollingeyes*****

Please, don't blow up this thread.  As you know, there is an ongoing and active thread on Ted Cruz's travel.  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,429135.0.html

Would it be too much to ask you to take the gasoline over there?

@libertybele

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 12:28:32 am »

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 12:31:53 am »
⚖️ 💛I HONOR VETERANS
@veterans_i

Damn never thought about this.

Pro tip compliments of my neighbors: if your water is shut off or pipes are frozen, fill your bath tub with snow and use the water for your toilets 🚽

To all my northern friends, don’t judge us. We are learning the hard way

12:59 AM · Feb 17, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/veterans_i/status/1361918229359128576

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 12:32:41 am »
Please, don't blow up this thread.  As you know, there is an ongoing and active thread on Ted Cruz's travel.  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,429135.0.html

Would it be too much to ask you to take the gasoline over there?

@libertybele

*****rollingeyes*****          I'm posting my opinion - period.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 12:34:38 am »
When I lived in AK we left the water on just a trickle to ensure that the pipes different freeze.  The pipes were also wrapped with heat tape and we plugged our cars in at night to ensure that the batteries didn't freeze.  There was nothing we could do to  keep the propane from freezing -- that was a sit and wait till it thaws out.

This is a fluke in TX and if it happened here in FL, we wouldn't be prepared either other than our grids keep getting upgraded because of the hurricanes and we have a generator; if things got bad we'd probably hop on a plane with our family and go to the Bahamas or Cancun.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 12:39:53 am by libertybele »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 12:43:19 am »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 12:49:25 am »

Wow.  Even during hurricane season I haven't seen shelves that empty. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 01:17:57 am »
Damn never thought about this.

Pro tip compliments of my neighbors: if your water is shut off or pipes are frozen, fill your bath tub with snow and use the water for your toilets 🚽

Well no... that's about a gallon and a half of water right there.

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 01:22:27 am »

Southern folks never tried to melt snow for water.  We tried in the 1976 storm in Ohio, several days with no electricity, 5 days before the street was cleared.  Dad laughed at me and my brother.  We had to prove we could do it.  Took more than all night to melt in a plastic bucket near the fireplace.  I remember about 1 inch water for a foot of snow, packed in.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 01:22:44 am »

Don't burse their bubble ... they were thrilled to have that!   :laugh:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 04:05:58 am »
Southern folks never tried to melt snow for water.  We tried in the 1976 storm in Ohio, several days with no electricity, 5 days before the street was cleared.  Dad laughed at me and my brother.  We had to prove we could do it.  Took more than all night to melt in a plastic bucket near the fireplace.  I remember about 1 inch water for a foot of snow, packed in.

Yeah... pretty common to use snow up in here if you ain't by a open creek. But you take a billy pot, pack it full of snow, and put it in the fire... that might get you a half an inch of water if you are lucky... You have to feed the thing all the way till you go to bed to get enough to matter.