Author Topic: Midwest Have No Surplus Power For Texas  (Read 538 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Midwest Have No Surplus Power For Texas
« on: February 19, 2021, 01:29:12 pm »
Not a Lot of People Know That By Paul Homewood 2/18/2021

Midcontinent Independent System Operator (MISO)

It is claimed that Texas would be better off as part of a wider grid. The obvious one would be MISO, to which there is already a small interconnector.

However MISO has been having severe difficulties due to the cold spell:

As with Texas,  MISO is currently relying almost entirely on coal, gas and nuclear power. If they had been operating with a quarter of the power from wind, as Texas was last week,  I suspect that they would have been experiencing the same blackouts as Texas has had.

It is also not much bigger capacity wise than Texas, which has been running at around 60 GW this week. I suspect that any extra demand from Texas would quickly destabilise the MISO grid.

More: https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2021/02/18/midwest-have-no-surplus-power-for-texas/

Offline thackney

Re: Midwest Have No Surplus Power For Texas
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 04:41:34 pm »
If they had been operating with a quarter of the power from wind, as Texas was last week

Lost of BS keeps getting repeated.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 10:16:29 pm »
Not a Lot of People Know That By Paul Homewood 2/18/2021

Midcontinent Independent System Operator (MISO)

It is claimed that Texas would be better off as part of a wider grid. The obvious one would be MISO, to which there is already a small interconnector.

However MISO has been having severe difficulties due to the cold spell:

As with Texas,  MISO is currently relying almost entirely on coal, gas and nuclear power. If they had been operating with a quarter of the power from wind, as Texas was last week,  I suspect that they would have been experiencing the same blackouts as Texas has had.

It is also not much bigger capacity wise than Texas, which has been running at around 60 GW this week. I suspect that any extra demand from Texas would quickly destabilise the MISO grid.

More: https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2021/02/18/midwest-have-no-surplus-power-for-texas/

The bigger the grid, the closer to instability it runs. Too many nodes. We would be better off haveing several ERCOTS across the nation with minimal interties.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 03:01:45 pm »
The bigger the grid, the closer to instability it runs. Too many nodes. We would be better off haveing several ERCOTS across the nation with minimal interties.
That makes sense.

Crossing state lines also exposes one to control by the feds, as well as multiple sovereign states which might have conflicting ideas on how to operate the grid.

To take it to the extreme, @roamer_1 has his own personal grid with no one else involved. KISS
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 03:03:02 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 04:01:11 pm »
That makes sense.

Crossing state lines also exposes one to control by the feds, as well as multiple sovereign states which might have conflicting ideas on how to operate the grid.

To take it to the extreme, @roamer_1 has his own personal grid with no one else involved. KISS

To be fair, no, I don't... But I am fixin to... My approach has been to fall back to gridlessness comfortably. To rely on ancient ways to separate the need for tech, which is different.

But yeah... Solar is coming here. And the jenny is getting upgrades. And I am going to rely more on tech as recharging becomes possible.

Because I am getting old and gimped up... I can still go take a bath in the creek in the middle of winter and survive. I just don't want to very much. Still, it should be said - knowing those old ways ultimately relieves all commitments, and preserves liberty the best.